cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Img file

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

Ever since upgrading to BUE2012 an IMG0000x directory is being created in the root directory on my external USB drives backup drives.  Each Directory is about 8GB in size and is taking up a lot of space.  There is one directory for each day I had the drive hooked up and performed a backup.  Its using up my space quickly.  What is it?  Do I need it?  I am backing up one MS/SQL database server.  no other servers on network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am backing up both an active directory database and a Ms\SQL server.

Do you have 2 agent for applications and databases licences?  You need 2 to backup AD and SQL.

If you have only one licence to backup your SQL, then you should turn off GRT of the AD backup and this will solve your img folder problem.  To turn off GRT for AD,

Uncheck what I have circled in red.  This will also make you compliant, licence-wise.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

IMGXXX fodler's are create in case a Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) backup is being performed.

GRT backup's can be performed mainly for Exchange databses, Hyper-V/VMWare environments, Active Directory database and SharePoint.

Are you backing up any of those?

You may want to consider creating a seperate job for SQL database backups.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

I am backing up both an active directory database and a Ms\SQL server.  I'll have to do some reading on GRT.  Are they necessary?  What benefit does having a separate database job do/  Right now I run two jobs. I do a full backup of the server and a full backup of the database logs every night.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Q. I am backing up both an active directory database and a Ms\SQL server. I'll have to do some reading on GRT. Are they necessary? What benefit does having a separate database job do/ Right now I run two jobs. I do a full backup of the server and a full backup of the database logs every night. Ans GRT is patent feature technology by Symantec, which helps you to backup application database like exchange ,Active directory ,SQL ..etc. so when GRT is on during the database backup it gives you ability to perform individual restore of content like in Active directory you can do restore of single deleted user within active directory. But this is not compulsory , ADRA for restoring individual objects from within Active Directory, if you just want a Disaster Recovery capability then backing up the complete Domain controller (Drives, System State, Shadow Copy Components) should be enough . There is only one benefit which I see if you are running the job for each database like one for AD and one for SQL it allows you to run them simultaneously if they are 2 different server ,if it is single server with AD and SQL on same machine then not possible to run at same time. Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am backing up both an active directory database and a Ms\SQL server.

Do you have 2 agent for applications and databases licences?  You need 2 to backup AD and SQL.

If you have only one licence to backup your SQL, then you should turn off GRT of the AD backup and this will solve your img folder problem.  To turn off GRT for AD,

Uncheck what I have circled in red.  This will also make you compliant, licence-wise.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to clarify the IMG folder is your backup, it is the GRT equivalent of a BKF file. As such delete that folder and you have deleted your backup data

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

I think I understand now.  I only have one agent for SQL not for AD.  I was just doing a full backup of everything and I assume that is enough for disaster recovery.  I don't need to be able to restore individual parts of the AD.  If I had to restore the DB it would problable be the whole DB and not a portion.  GRT doesn't seem to of any value to what this client is doing considering there size which is very small.  I will turn off GRT on Jobs.  What is the retention period for those IMG directories?  is it the same as the retention period for full backups?  If I don't need them can I just delete them or is there something I need to do in BUE so its not looking for them.  Does BUE select GRT by default?  It was not selected in these jobs before the upgrade to 2012