cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Backup File

clenh2o
Level 2

This should be a simple question, and I am not exactly a BE newbie, but... here goes.  (Nobody make fun)

I have a Server that runs a database that contains nothing but x-ray images. SQL backed up the database locally.

I installed BE Agent on it and BE 12.5 backed it up to a server with some free space on it.

The Backup to Disk Folder now has 120 GB of data on it that I will probably never need to access.  

So, I copied the file to an external Hard Drive.  (Bear with me, almost done.  Here comes the question:)

How do I get BE 12.5 to recognize the backup files on the external hard dirve so I can do a test restore before I delete the origianl folder off the server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

BE careful with copying BKF files around manually as if in a months time you want to recover from those files, but Backup Exec has re-used the file names for other backups you may have to start with an Empty Backup Exec database to recover them.

Better solution is to use duplicate jobs (as mentioned) with a long overwrite protection period used on the duplicate jobs, and your removable disk(s) configured as per http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55855

Of if you have no intention of keeping this data on your media server after the backup go straight to the removable disks themselves.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have to duplicate the backup images instead of just doing a normal copy. 

Create a new backup-to-disk folder on the external drive and use a duplicate job to transfer the B2D files from local disk to external. Once done you can restore data from external disk directly when required.

If you just copy, first you have to copy the data back to original location inorder to restore it.

Regards....

AmolB

You need to perform an inventory of the HDD, once the files are recognized by BE you may proceed 

with the restore. If in case the catalogs are purged, you will have to run a catalog job for the B2D files.

Colin_Weaver

BE careful with copying BKF files around manually as if in a months time you want to recover from those files, but Backup Exec has re-used the file names for other backups you may have to start with an Empty Backup Exec database to recover them.

Better solution is to use duplicate jobs (as mentioned) with a long overwrite protection period used on the duplicate jobs, and your removable disk(s) configured as per http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55855

Of if you have no intention of keeping this data on your media server after the backup go straight to the removable disks themselves.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

He would need to create a B2D folder on the external drive, then copy all the files to that folder, then inventory all the files, then catalog all the files

And as Colin mentioned, there is the problem with possible duplicate BKF file names

Starting from scratch and just Duplicating to the new drive is easier and cleaner

clenh2o
Level 2

Thank you for your quick reply.  I have awarded you the solution as well as the support response at bottom for adding in the KB article.  I did not find that on my original search.