cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import/Migrate Backup Jobs from BE 2010 R3 to BE 15?

rhall_2
Level 3

configuring a new backup server, and would like to be able to import my BE 2010 R3 configuration into my new BE 15 Server. I was able to export my config from 2010, but i am not able to find any possible way to import it into 15?

hope this is something possible

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In a nutshell, these are the steps required:-

1) Upgrade the existing BE 2010 R3 to BE 15 on the same machine.

2) Post the upgrade, stop all services and grab a copy of the Data & Catalog folders.

3) On the new server install BE 15. Post install, do not launch the console.

4) Stop all services (including the SQL service) and replace the Data & Catalog folders.

5) Start only the SQL service & update the server name in the DB (This step is required only if the server names are different). Steps 4 & 5 is to be used from this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

6) Start all services.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This is not possible. The only way to get your configuration and jobs into BE 15 is to upgrade your BE 2010 to BR 15. You need to be on BE 2010 R3 SP 4 to be be able to upgrade to BE 15

rhall_2
Level 3

so, if i take my existing 2010 r3 server, and create a virtual of it, and then upgrade to the newer version of 15, then export the config, i should be able to import it into my new server?

that seems like the best option

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I did not notice any configuration export/import function in the newer releases, but I may not have been paying close attention to this feature.  Anyway, you can give it a go.

Otherwise, you can migrate the upgraded BE to the new server.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216706

It should also be valid for BE 15.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In a nutshell, these are the steps required:-

1) Upgrade the existing BE 2010 R3 to BE 15 on the same machine.

2) Post the upgrade, stop all services and grab a copy of the Data & Catalog folders.

3) On the new server install BE 15. Post install, do not launch the console.

4) Stop all services (including the SQL service) and replace the Data & Catalog folders.

5) Start only the SQL service & update the server name in the DB (This step is required only if the server names are different). Steps 4 & 5 is to be used from this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

6) Start all services.

rhall_2
Level 3

being that our current environment is running on server 2008 32bit(was in-place upgraded from server 2003), i have multiple hurdles to go through to make this happen!! had to create a VM of our current machine, and install a fresh 2008R2, and install BE 2010 R3, on it. then moved the configuration over to the fresh install. once there, i was able to do an in-place upgrade to BE 15, and finally able to move the config over to the new Physical BE server based on your instructions. 

thanks for your help

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It might be easier to just do a fresh install of BE 15 and then recreate your jobs.  BE 15 is quite different from BE 2010.

For your existing backup sets, you can import them into BE 15.

rhall_2
Level 3

i already got them all imported, so im actually switching the library over to the new server within the hour.

more than anything else, i wanted to give a quick overview of what i had to do, in case anyone else runs into this issue in the future.