cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import an iscsi Disk from 2016 to 20.6 or 20.1

rcunha
Level 4

Hi guys,
I have some backups that from a 2016 version that is on a iscsi disk.

I f I connected this disk in an version 20.6 or 21.1, import the disk on disk stoage, inventory and catalog the Backups Sets.
Everything is good, is possible to restore them ? Or I will have to do other things for the backups are possible to make this backups avaiable ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not done this before, but I think what you want to do should be possible.  You would have to import the disk.  You cannot add the disk.

I don't know why you are doing this. Normally, we would just wait for all the backup sets on the disk to be imported, to expire and then the disk can be freed up.  What you are trying to do would just use up valuable disk space on your online storage.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It will be imported as a legacy disk storage and will be read-only.  You can restore from them just as you would from other disk storages, but you cannot write to them.

Ok, I undestand.
I think is enough for me at this moment, only import the backups sets.
Anoyher question, If I Duplicate those backups tsets o other disk on the version 20.6, it will be possible to restore too ? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Presumably these are all old backup sets, so why would you want to duplicate them?

Because I need to copy to a New Dell storage connected with Iscsi too.
Can you help me in another questions:

1) Instead of import, I make a Test here creating another disc. Them I catalog and inventory it and work, the backup sets are there. It is possible do it too?

2) It is possible copy all backup exec files and folders from another disk with windows copy and paste, Instead of internal duplicate ? Them I will add this disk at the system, cataloging and inventory for make backups sets avaiable.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you copy any backup set, do read this

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038808

@pkh wrote:

Before you copy any backup set, do read this

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038808

Ok, I read the article, It says that is not recommended copy files using any 3rd party copy or replication tools, beacause it will be inconsistent. And if you have a server A and a Server B, running diferrent jobs at same time, probaly .bkf and IMG folders will be in a conflict with them if you have the same disks copying between them.

But, what I will want to do is:
1) "Disconnect" the iscsi disk from the server A and connect to the server B. Add this disk like a new storage, catalog and inventory it, for make the backup sets avaiable. "If necessary I import the disk like a legacy disk storage."
2) Duplicate on the backup exec server B those backup sets to a new disk on the same server.

Excuse me, if a make a mistake to undestand the article on my scenario. But what can you tell me if what I what to do is possible ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not done this before, but I think what you want to do should be possible.  You would have to import the disk.  You cannot add the disk.

I don't know why you are doing this. Normally, we would just wait for all the backup sets on the disk to be imported, to expire and then the disk can be freed up.  What you are trying to do would just use up valuable disk space on your online storage.

Ok, thanks for your help.
I need to do this, because the server and the storage iscsi disk where these backups sets stay will be disable.
These backups sets will expire after one year, until it I need to mantain them.

I finally import.
When I add the IScsi disks at the other server, backup exec import the disk automatically. Then I duplicate to the other disk.