cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Tapes from an old Backup Exec Server

EWestlake
Level 2

Hello I am running Backup Exec 12.5 on my main physical server. I am trying to import a tape and download the data from before I went Virtual and had two LTO Drives. The tape I am trying to access was from back in 2010 and I need to get a single file off it as the file has not been looked at since 2010 and some time during my old backups it has become corrupt.

Any help as to how I can import an old LTO tape into my new Library and pull the information off it would be very useful to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Before you proceed make sure the old tapes are compatible with the new library (tape drive)

LTO compatibility matrix http://knowledgebase.tolisgroup.com/?View=entry&EntryID=178

If the tapes are compatible than insert the tapes in the library perform an inventory and run a

catalog job on the old tapes. Once the catalogs are generated open restore window locate the 

file and perform a restore.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you're probably not going to see anything in the Restore wizard when it comes to selecting the data to restore. For some obscure and pretty stupid reason BE will tend to select a random date.

Make sure you select the date range specifically around the time the tape was written too.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Before you proceed make sure the old tapes are compatible with the new library (tape drive)

LTO compatibility matrix http://knowledgebase.tolisgroup.com/?View=entry&EntryID=178

If the tapes are compatible than insert the tapes in the library perform an inventory and run a

catalog job on the old tapes. Once the catalogs are generated open restore window locate the 

file and perform a restore.

EWestlake
Level 2

Thank you very much for this. It worked. now to see how far back the corrupt file goes.