cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Backup Exec Administration Console performance

stenorman2001
Level 3

I've noticed a few people commenting on the performance of the Administration Console in BE 2012 and I thought I'd shared a procedure we'd found to help improve the performance.

Because BE 2012's Administration Console is built on .NET 4 and WPF the application is compiled each time it is launched and so performance suffers.

You can manually compile the application so that it doesn't need to be compiled at launch time by doing the following:

1. Close the Backup Exec Administration Console

2. Open a command prompt as Administrator

3. cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319

4. .\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BackupExec.exe"

5. The process will compile a number of different libraries and can take about 10-15 minutes

6. Repeat the process for any computers running the console

We've found this process to improve the responsiveness of the application. Hopefully Symantec can add this to the installation process automatically in the future.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Good piece of information here that is going to be totally lost here in the normal forum section.

Head on to the Blogs section on the link below and add it in there rather. You will get more exposure!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/blogs

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Good piece of information here that is going to be totally lost here in the normal forum section.

Head on to the Blogs section on the link below and add it in there rather. You will get more exposure!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/blogs

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This compilation process may need to be repeated after every update to BE.