cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In CASO environment, create jobs on CASO or MMS?

RobinMau
Level 3

Just after some feedback on our setup please.

I have a virtual CASO server, and about 6 physical MMS at different sites across a WAN (20-50 Mbit). The MMS are beefy (24 cpus, 128 ram, 60 TB local disk raid 5) and each is configured with deduplication storage. I'm also using optimised deduplication to duplicate backup set to a second physical site.

Should I create my backup jobs on the CASO server, selecting desired MMS/dedupe storage. Or would is it better to create the jobs on the MMS?

I'd be backing up about 30-40 remote servers per MMS, each with their own job. About 200-300 total jobs per MMS (including backup, verify, duplicate jobs).

I'm using distributed catalogs. I've selected "Fast connection" for the connection settings for the managed media servers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Slim_786
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Robin,

I would create the jobs on the respective managed Media Servers, Once all the Jobs have been created on the MMS servers log into your CASO Server, click on Storage, right click each Managed Media Server, select details and then settings, ensure that the Monitor jobs that are created locally on the MMS is set to Yes.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Slim

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Slim_786
Level 4

Hi Robin,

I would create the jobs on the respective managed Media Servers, Once all the Jobs have been created on the MMS servers log into your CASO Server, click on Storage, right click each Managed Media Server, select details and then settings, ensure that the Monitor jobs that are created locally on the MMS is set to Yes.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Slim

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think if you need to use Optimized duplication that you may have to create the jobs on the CAS as you may be more limited if the jobs were created on the MBE

Slim_786
Level 4

I suppose its just personal preferance, if its a simple Optimised Duplication config i.e duplication from Dedup Pool on MMS to Dedup Pool on Caso then there should'nt be any limitation with configuring the jobs on the MMS. Once the CASO Dedup pool is shared the MMS "sees" it so it shouldnt be a problem.

The only reason I prefer setting up the initial jobs on the MMS for large environemtns with a distributed catalog is that adding servers and creating the actual jobs are much quicker this way. Try adding a server from one of your remote sites on your CASO, that takes time, then right click and select backup and see how long it takes to populate the selection list for that server,now imagine adding 240 servers :). try adding a server now from your MMS and notice the difference.

Colin_Weaver

What do you do if your tape library is only attached to the CASO and following Optimized duplication you want to get the data on tape?

Slim_786
Level 4

Hi Colin,

If you are duplicating to a Tape library that is only connected to your CASO server than the Backup Jobs without a doubt have to be created on the CASO server.

With that being said Robin hasnt mentioned that he is offloading anything to Tape.

Regards,

Slim

RobinMau
Level 3

Appreciate the responses guys. Sounds like I should keep the jobs created on the MMS. To me the Admin guide appendix on CASO suggests creating jobs on the CASO for the purposes of load balance jobs to different MMS, but I won't be using this. Originally we didn't even want to have a CASO, but found we needed CASO to share dedupe storage for Optimised Deduplication. Additional info.

• No tapes, only dedupe storage.
  • Hyper-V virtual machines mostly but Remote Agent backup (we're using Nutanix and backup exec can't see the disks)
  • Currently most jobs are created on the MMS, including an optimised deduplication stage that works just fine.
  • 10 Gbit network between MMS and remote servers
  • Duplicate storage currently about; 80 TB of data, 10 TB on disk, ratio 8:1, 3,000 backup sets.

Have been seeing alot of performance issues. Jobs will sit as "queued" and/or "loading media" for hours or forever. Even with no other jobs running. Just not sure if it's a resources issue or a configuration issue. And if it is a resources issue, can't see an obvious bottleneck in Windows resoucr managed.

When it does work it's great, 2,000-8,000 MB/min on backups. 8,000-12,000 MB/min on restores.

Thanks,

Robin

Colin_Weaver

I just noticed as the CASO is a VM you can't use tape anyway