cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly slow restore rates in 2012 vs 12.5

howartp
Level 3

Hi,

We've just upgraded from 12.5 to 2012 VRAY.

Trying today to restore a 10mb file and a 725k file from last weeks BE 12.5 disk backups.

The 10mb file took 3 hours and the 725kb file took 1 hour, on the same hardware as before - a 21mb file from the same disk backups a fortnight ago took under 3 minutes!

Any ideas how to sort this?

Peter

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you confirmed the remote agent version on the target server is upgraded as well ?

Secondly, what is the restore speed if you choose to redirect to local disk ?

howartp
Level 3

Hi VJware,

I forgot to mention that this restore is redirected to a local disk. The B2D folder is on a locally-connected tray of disks the same as we have in our live SAN, but it is only attached by SATA/SCSI/SAS (not sure which from here). The restore target was the BE server's own internal D: drive where I often redirect restores to.

Personally I didn't try a restore to the original location, because my colleague reported it was taking ages (I think he said 40 minutes for the 10mb file, but he then cancelled it before it ever finished) - that's why I tried to do it locally because I know that's the first thing people ask!

I ran perfmon on the PhysicalDisk BytesReadPerSecond from B2D folder, and BytesWritePerSecond to the D: drive - from memory it was reading at aroudn 100MB per second and writing at 107KB per second - at those combined speeds it should take 0.1 seconds to read the 10mb file and 95 seconds to write it, giving a reasonable 1.5 minutes (plus BE overheads such as locating the file) to restore this file.

A/V and Defender is turned off completely at the moment - it wasn't, but I've run another file overnight which took 1.5 hours for 500k file - which is even worse.

The quoted byte rate in BE is 1.0mb / second for all of these jobs

Peter

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As a test, what speed do you get if you run a small backup & restore from it as well ?

What sort of data are you restoring...is it flat-file data or else ?

Lastly, would you enable debugging via sgmon.exe using this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH4986

Collect the debug output &you may either PM me or attach it in your next comment.

howartp
Level 3

Hi again,

Just acknowledging your update - I've got a large backup job running at the moment which is taking ages (that's another question once I get restores sorted!) - but I have set SGMon running agains this job as well.

Once it's done, I'll PM you four SGMon logs.  (The large backup, the existing 10mb restore, and two small backup and restore jobs)

Peter

howartp
Level 3

Hi,

SGMon log of the 550kb restore attached.

It took 26 minutes to restore 550kb.

Peter

howartp
Level 3

Hi again,

Right, a 750Gb backup using VM vCenter, but only selecting one server within the datacentre, has just taken 1 day and 6 hours to backup.

A 4.5mb backup (using windows remote agent) took 15 seconds.  A restore of the same, redirected to the local disk as above, took 3 seconds.

A 465mb backup (using windows remote agent) took 37 seconds. A restore of the same, redirected as above, took 8 seconds.

A 550kb restore from last fridays B2D backup using BE 12.5 (and it's windows remote agent), redirected as above, is taking 2 minutes and counting...

Once it's done, I'll post the sgmon log.

I'll also then set the 750Gb backup going again via windows remote agent.

Peter

(Edit: File size of 550kb corrected)

howartp
Level 3

VJware, are you still there?

I've just restored 100mb from a 12.5 Tape, not B2D disk, and it only took 10 minutes.

So it is the restoring of Disk that is taking the time; restoring Tape is not an issue.

Peter