Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backup Restore Question

systematic92
Level 5

Guys,

Please see my screenshot.

My backup schedule is as follows:

- Full Friday (be it weekly, monthly or annual)
- Daily Incrementals from Monday - Thursday

These are all NDMP backups.

If you look at my screenshot, you will see the first line highlighted, which is "Daily Incremental - Wednesday".

If in future, I wanted to restore some data from this Wednesday, what tapes would I need?

I thought Incremental restores were the day you need PLUS the last full backup (every Friday) - is that correct?

The reason I ask is because I cannot see a FULL job completed for the attached task. So I don't get how it will do a restore?

Thanks,
29 REPLIES 29

pkh
   VIP    Certified
NDMP technology is the same for all backup products. The same NDMP facilities are used so that document will apply to BE as well

sk7777
Level 4
Certified

PKH - With Respect , we are not suppose to troubleshoot other products issue here. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Nobody is a asking you to troubleshoot any other software. If you read the document carefully, it is a description of how NDMP dump and restore works, and it applies equally to BE since BE invokes NDMP. Can you restore Level 1 with BE without restoring Level 0?

sk7777
Level 4
Certified

Pkh - Dont go in generic terms..for your information -  I suppose you are troubleshooting/giving inputs to Netvault NDMP backup issue here

Anyways coming to question - Can you restore Level 1 with BE without restoring Level 0?

Answer is Not possible. 

My Question - How Can NDMP Incr backup ( Level 1) will be successful if Full ( Level 0 ) failed ? 

Any Inputs my friend... 

systematic92
Level 5

So is the following true:

Since these are NDMP backups. 

Your immediate Incremental Backup from Week2 will be equal to full backup and will contain all files since there is a failed Week2 FULL backup.

For Testing Purpose, goto reports -> run Media Required for Recovery report and select the files you want to restore. It will show which media you require. 

The week 2 full has failed, which means  when the Monday incremental starts, it presumably backs up all changes since the last full, which would have been week 1 full.

If I now had to restore a file from Wednesday Incremental Week 2 - what tapes would I need?

Since the level 0 backup failed, I am assuming, I would need:

Wednesday Tape (3rd incremental - level 3), Tuesday Tape (2nd incremental - level 2) and Monday Tape (1st incremental - level 1).

Or will it be more tapes?

I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I suppose you are troubleshooting/giving inputs to Netvault NDMP backup issue here

What am I suppose to input to them?  That their document is correct and BE works the same way.

My Question - How Can NDMP Incr backup ( Level 1) will be successful if Full ( Level 0 ) failed ? 

If this did not happen, why is there this discussion? Do examine the screenshots in the initial post CAREFULLY.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are clutching at straws to avoid rerunning your failed full backup.  Isn't it obvious that your second week backups are useless without a full backup?  If you choose to mix-and-match backups from different weeks and end up in a mess, you would only have yourself to blame.

systematic92
Level 5

systematic92
Level 5

The main issue is that some of our full backups take over 24 hours to complete (due to file scanning mainly). 

Say if my full weekly fails and I re-ran it on Monday, what would happen to my incremental that is also scheduled for Monday at 18:30? Would it run or not? If it ran, what changes would it be backing up GIVEN that the full is still running?

sk7777
Level 4
Certified

Well, 

Why dont you start the same thread under NetVault Support Forum or Check with Netvault Support.. 

if you got issues with Netvault NDMP Backups ...