cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backups not Running until Full backup is complete

Kanuto23
Level 2

Hello,

I am new with this BE backup system and need your professional advice.

We do our Full backups every Sunday and our Incremental backups from Monday - Saturday.
Our Full backups takes 3 to 4 days to complete (with verification) and the Incrementals do not
run until then.  So we are losing approximately 3-4 days worth of Incremental backups.

My question is, Is this how BE should work by design?  
What can we do to prevent this Incremental backup data loss?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is the way all backup software work, not just BE. One way around this problem is to break up your backup job into smaller jobs so that they finish faster

Kanuto23
Level 2

Hi and thanks for taking time to give your advice.

Actually, our Full backups are already divided into 4 sets (4TB) each.
So, our 4TB data takes 3-4 days to complete, is that normal?

I have attached 1 backup set summary report for reference.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The speed of backup is highly dependent on the environment. Things like CPU, disk speed, network, etc, ask play a part. You got to do some detective work to find out what is slowing down your backup. For example, running your jobs concurrently could result in resource contentions and slow things down. You might want to run your jobs one at a time to take a look. Turn off AV scanning and switch to modified time method

Chris2012
Level 4

@pkh

What is the best way for scheduling my backup if using incremental backups? Yesterday I modified my backups of an exchange server and now I've got the same problem like Kanuto23.

Daily full backup runs at 22:00 and my incremental backup starts the next day at 07:00, running hourly until 20:00. To get my daily incremental backup running I have to manually start my full backup each morning. Once it's complete my hourly backup runs fine.

Is there a way to get this working without rescheduling my daily full backup?

I guess it would work if I schedule my daily backup to run at e.g. 01:00 the same day my first incremental backup runs?

Best regards

Chris

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Schedule your first incremental backup to start after the full backup has completed

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Schedule your first incremental backup to start after the full backup has completed

Chris2012
Level 4

Does it have to be at the same day?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is up to you to decide

Chris2012
Level 4

I guess somehow it doesn't work.

In the attached screenshot you can see my configuration.

mail_be_1.jpg

At weekends my weekly full backup runs. It is defined in the same Backup Definition as a seperate backup job.

This morning I've got Error Code E000035E " The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup."

I already read the following article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH124338 but the backup jobs are using the same backup selection.

After a manually started daily backup complets the hourly backups run without a problem. I have the same problem on weekdays with the job schedule showed in the screenshot.

Edit: I'm using BE 15 (14.2) with all updates installed.

LongwoodEng
Level 3

Hello,

Pro-rata, my Backup to RDX / USB2 would take approximately 20 Hours to back-up 1TB (backup to LTO Tape is twice the speed on my other server).

Backing up 3-4 TB every weekend is quite an undertaking. Also, you must remember that restoring that amount of data after a disaster is also going to take a long time.

May I ask if it would be practical to archive some of your data to a separate (read-only) volume and back that up less frequently using a separate job? If the archive data is not amendable, I can't think of a reason why you would need to back this up every week. It may also help you in a disaster recovery situation, because you can quickly restore the current production data (and restore the archive at a more leisurely pace).

Kind Regards, Stephen