cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup backs up too many files.

rtcalderon
Level 3

Hi Experts,

I am new configuring NDMP backups and I have the following problem: I configured NDMP for a Hitachi NAS, but although the backup jobs end successfully, the incremental backup is affecting the backup window because Backup Exec 16 is backing up many files, around 300,000 which does not make sense in my environment. I appreciate if you can make some recommendations.

The current configuration is:

Full - Level = 0

Incremental - Level 1 (Backs up new or modified files since level 0).

Best regards!

4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

One non-obvious thing to check is to make sure the time and the time zone setting match on the NDMP and Backup Exec servers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot use Level 1 in all your daily jobs.  If you do, then your daily jobs are differential, and not incremental, backups.  

Level 1 (Backs up new or modified files since level 0).

This means every day the job will backup new or modified files since level 0.  Hence the output of your daily job will increase every day.

To do incremental backup, you need to set your jobs as follows 

Day 0 - Full - Level = 0

Day 1 - Incremental - Level 1 (Backs up new or modified files since level 0).

Day 2 - Incremental - Level 2 (Backs up new or modified files since level 1).

Day 7 - Incremental - Level 7 (Backs up new or modified files since level 6).

Thank you very much Larry_Fine and pkh for your answers. PKH I think you're right, but I have a problem and because of the large size of the data, the full backup is done every month, but I only have 9 levels to do incremental backup. What should I do for the remaining twenty days?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

These levels should be sufficient.  It is bad practice to have monthly full backups with a long backup chain.  You should take full backups more frequently.