cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup of files on QNAP backs up as Full with Backup Exec

ithrbruce
Level 3

Hi,

I have two QNAP NAS devices, a TS-421U, and a TS-453U-RP. They both work fine.

However, whenever I try to perform an incremental backup of the data on them using Backup Exec (version 20.5), any incremental backup always runs as a full backup. It is as if it can't tell that it has already backed up a file, and the incremental then backs up each and every file, creating to all intents and purposes a full backup.

I have no problems whatsoever with other backups, i.e. from any Windows server or PC. Full and incrementals run as they should do.

I realise this may be down to not being able to install a Backup Exec agent on the QNAP's, but if it can backup those devices using file share, then surely it can see if a file has been modified since the last backup or not.

If anyone has any suggestions on how incremental backups of data on QNAP devices can be made to work, it would be appreciated.

This request will also be posted on a QNAP forum in case someone there is able to assist.

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. Your problem is due to the fact that you cannot install the remote agent on your devices.

Because there is no agent, there is no guarantee that the archive bit is set correctly.

If your devices can be connected to a server using iSCSI, then your incremental backups will work

Thanks for your quick reply.

I haven't used that before, due to no need. Reading up on it, it seems I need to create the storage space on the server hsoting my data before I can back it up. Does that mean I'd have to move the data into it? I'm concerned that would affect my file shares.

Thanks.

kf2013
   VIP   

I think the NAS didnt support Archive bit.

So you may map two NAS to as Windows server, then backup via Windows server.

Thank you! I will try that.

kf2013
   VIP   

Please let me know the result.

I setup iSCSI on the QNAP NAS that hosts the data that needs backing up, but it seems that I then need to create the storage space on the server before I can back it up. Does that mean I'd have to move the data into it? I'm concerned that would affect my file shares. Does that sound right to you? I have never used iSCSI connections before and am unsure how they work in this way.

Thanks.

kf2013
   VIP   

Please follow this guide to connect to iscsi storage on your NAS. I dont think you need to create the storage space on the server only if you want your windows server as an ISCSC storage.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Virtualization/How_to_use_iSCSI_Target...

Hi,

That's very kind of you, thank you, I will take a look.

Bruce

kf2013
   VIP   

You are welcome.

Hi,

I have read through this, and it mentions formatting the target, i.e. the NAS. My NAS has data on that I wish to back up from. If I target and format a new drive on the NAS, does that mean I have to move my data into that area so that I can back it up? It will make a mess of my file shares if I do. Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks.

kf2013
   VIP   

The link is for creating a new iSCCI target.

I think you directly created file share on your NAS,rght?

If you map this share folder to server, I think Backup Exec will not recognize mappped drive of remote server, so you may have to create a new iSCSI target.

If your NAS has space, you may copy data from file share to iSCSI

Hi,

I don't know if this solution will work for me as it will break my file shares. I will try it anyway, thank you for clarifying.

Bruce