cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual files and folders restoration using Backup Exec Agent for Hyper-V

shamee
Level 5

Hi,

I am using Backup Exec 2012 server and Backup Agent for Hyper-V in an environment where Windows Server 2012 is the hyper-V host. Also backup destination is Tape Drive. My question is, will I be able to restore individual Files and Folders of a VM from Tape Backup? Or do i need to restore entire volume to disk for getting individual files? Please help. Thanks.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When running a GRT restore from tape, the  entire VM will be staged on a disk on the BE media server. Alternatively, you can choose to "Duplicate" the existing backup sets from tape to disk and then run a GRT restore. But yes, either ways, disk space equivalent to the VM size will be required.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

Use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) to enable the restore of individual files and folders from virtual machines

Select this option to enable individual files and folders to be restored from the full backup. You must install the Agent for Windows on the virtual machine on which you want to restore the data. The Agent for Windows does not have to be installed on the virtual machine to back up the data.

For more information refer to  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99379

VJware
Level 6

When running a GRT restore from tape, the  entire VM will be staged on a disk on the BE media server. Alternatively, you can choose to "Duplicate" the existing backup sets from tape to disk and then run a GRT restore. But yes, either ways, disk space equivalent to the VM size will be required.

shamee
Level 5

Thanks VJware. Its clear now.

shamee
Level 5

Thanks AmolB