cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexplicable Final error: 0xe0001204

AlbertoBalsalm
Level 2

The scenario is...

Source and Destination: Exchange 2007 SP3 (with GRT enabled) allowing VSS to select the snapshot provider.

Previous media server that performed backup: Server 2008 SP2 running Backup Exec 2012

Current media server attempting to perform restore: Server 2008 R2 SP1 running Backup Exec 2012

GRT restore of a user's selected Inbox subfolders is failing with the error 0xe0001204 - The path on the Backup Exec server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items must be on a local NTFS volume on the Backup Exec server.

This e0001204 error appears whether I restore to PST or to the original location.  Going to try restoring to RSG as a long shot once I can throw some more disk on the Exchange server, but in case anyone has seen this before I figured I'd ask here.  We are a nonprofit with a NFR version of BE, so no support.  In hindsight this NFR is almost costing more than buying the full retail...but I digress.

The staging path *is* a local NTFS volume on the media server (log file references the correct staging location), the BE system account has full control of the staging path, and the system account has a mailbox on the Exchange server being backed up / restored.

The version or service pack level of Exchange has not changed between the backup and the failed restore.

The storage groups and databases have not changed since the backup, and since the destination and source servers are one and the same, the same Organization and AdministrativeGroup names persist.

The destination database has been configured to be overwritten.

The Virtual File Filter (VFF) driver on the Exchange server is installed, started, and running correctly.

I can restore the EDB and log files if I redirect to a folder, but then I'd need a (non-cheap) third party tool to extract the desired folders.

Any advice on what to tweak or try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Alternatively, run a "duplicate" job from tape to Disk Storage and then attempt the restore from the Disk instead.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does the volume for the staging have enough space to hold the entire information store?  If not, change it to another volume with sufficient space and then recreate the restore job.

Also, see this document for a possible solution

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000013890

VJware
Level 6
Alternatively, run a "duplicate" job from tape to Disk Storage and then attempt the restore from the Disk instead.

AlbertoBalsalm
Level 2
pkh, thank you for this idea and the link. The staging volume does have enough space, and the system account does have a mailbox and the mailbox is not hidden from the GAL.

AlbertoBalsalm
Level 2
VJware, that worked (first I had to put the vmware agent on my BE server to get the VFF driver installed), but do you know if there will be a fix for this in BE2012, or do I have to upgrade to a newer major version to avoid this in the future? My BE2012 is fully patched as of today. Thanks for the help!

VJware
Level 6

I believe this is not an expected behavior and should not be as such experienced in newer versions. Additionally, newer versions such as BE 2014, BE 15 are vast improvements over BE 2012.