cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Inf files for iso image

D_Corrigan
Level 3

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to obtain .inf files to use when creating an .iso image for a BMR of a Windows 2008R2 AD server to new hardware.

The network drivers and storage listed for the new server are zipped and when extracted become .exe files. I then found some open source softwware to extract the .exe file which did contain an .inf file but it's just a text file. Am I missing something?

Also isn't there some way to set up the RAID array on the new server, install Windows and THEN use a backup across the network somehow?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can either inject the driver during the creation of the SDR ISO image or supply it during the SDR process as described by the document I referenced earlier.  Providing the .inf file is correct.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to boot up the utility disk to configure your RAID first and at the end of the RAID configuration procedure, it will prompt you for an OS disk.  This is when you insert the SDR disk and do the restore.

D_Corrigan
Level 3

By utility disk do you mean the bootable RAID setup tools from HP (it's a proliant server)? That makes sense but I would still need network drivers and Windows storage drivers in .iso format to create the SDR disk.

D_Corrigan
Level 3

drivers in.inf format that is (not .iso format).

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to put the drivers in a location which is accessible during the SDR process. See this document

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000084424

D_Corrigan
Level 3

If I add them "when prompted" VIA USB will the .exe installer work or am I still back to the .inf issue? Also, If you cannot add them to the SRD why does the disc creator ask you to put them in?

The linked article also says "drivers that match the O/S of the restored computer". Copying the original drivers is an available option when creating the recovery disc but they won't help when using new hardware (or if this won't work anyway as the article suggests).

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What makes you think that either methods will not work?

D_Corrigan
Level 3

Either methods? There is no either method. Step one is SDR disc creation. Disc creation prompts to install driver files. These files can only be in .inf form. This is the basis of my question.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can either inject the driver during the creation of the SDR ISO image or supply it during the SDR process as described by the document I referenced earlier.  Providing the .inf file is correct.