cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Store shows 0kb, can't backup Exchange 2010 with BE 2010 R2

TheMind
Level 3
Hello.

I've read several technotes about this, and threads, and haven't found the answer yet. 

I have moved Backup Exec 2010 R2 to a WIndows Server 2008 R2 x64 machine so that I could backup my Exchange 2010.  My Exchange 2010 server is a VM within ESXi 4.1, for reference, but the RAWS is installed on the Exchange 2010 VM, and so is VMWare Tools.  I have installed the Exchange 2010 Management tools on the new BE Media server.  The Exchange 2010 server already has the MAPI/CDO 1.2.1 installed.

I am getting this when trying to choose selections for doing a GRT backup of the Exchange 2010 server...notice that the Information Store shows 0kb for both the Mailbox Database and the Public Folder Database:

I found out that I did NOT have the Backup Exec system account set in the Local Admin group on the Ex2010 server, and did NOT have that account in the "Organization Management" role group.  I fixed both things, and verified that the account is a Local Admin on the mail server and is in the "Organization Management" role group.  Yet, I still can't get the Information Store to populate and backup.

I tried just selecting the Information Store here anyways thinking maybe it was a glitch, and when running the backup, I received this error:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get the Exchange 2010 GRT backup to work?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

strangerhkn
Level 2

allmind thank you very much for your answer. I solved my problem.

My problem was exchange management shell problem. When I install Exchange 2010 SP1 on my exchange server, Exchane management shell doesn't work. I find this problem and I solved EMS problem.

Now Backup Process works fine.

Best Regards 

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Alex_B_
Level 2
I have the same Error. The Symantec Support can´t help me.
Error: E0000391
V-79-57344-913

My Exchange Server is a physical Machine.
But my Backup Exec 2010R2 Media Server is on ESXI 4.1.
i tried to backup the Information Store to Disk.
I have read several Comments in this Forum, but i nothing help.

I have BackupExecSystemRecovery 2010 installed on the Media Server and run an Backup from Exchange.
When i tried to recover an Email it don´t work.
I also have put the Media Server to a Domain Controller.
Put it´s the same Problem.

Please help me !!!!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you tried to...

1. Uninstall the license for Exchange, and reinstall it in BE 2010?
2. Uninstall the RAWS agent, and then reinstall it on your Exchange server?

Thanks,

Craig

CraigV

...also looks like it is a problem, not necessarily with Exchange 2010 though...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302844.htm

CraigV
...the other thing you guys can try doing, is to create a stand-alone job. It's either going to be temporary, or prove that your selection list is corrupt and needs to be recreated.
Try that...new selection list, new job, and then run the backup and see if you get the same error. If so, open a call with Symantec, and I will hit the support flag on this too.
If you DON'T get the error, and it goes through successfully, you have the following choices:

1. Check your current selection list and see if it refers to something that may/may not exist anymore. If it does, delete it, and try the original job again...

2. Use the new job you created, and delete the old one...

Laters!

Alex_B_
Level 2
1.We have uninstalled  BackupExec and the Exchange Management Tools from the
Media Server. Then reinstall the management tools and Backupexec.
Download all Updates.
2. Uninstalling the Exchange Agent from the Exchange Server (manually; deleting all Registry Keys) and reinstall it.
3. Create new Backupjob

...but its the same problem as before.

When i checked the permissions in the Backupjobs, everything is fine.
The Information Store shows 0kb.
When I start a testrun, I get Error E0008703

CraigV

If it is a remote server, uninstall RAWS, reboot, and then reinstall RAWS, and make sure it is publishing correctly to your media server.

Alexey_D
Level 3
I have the same problem with the same environment. Any news about this?

Alex_B_
Level 2

No, nothing helped.

I call the Symantec Support and i get this

1. On the Backup Exec server and the Exchange server open the Registry Editor and add a DWORD value called MonadRpcTimeOut under the following registry key:
HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes
2. Set the value of MonadRpcTimeOut value to 3600 decimal.
3. Restart the Backup Exec services on both the Backup Exec Media server and the Exchange Server.
4. Re-run the backup and verify the results.

But it don´t help for me.
Please, is there anyone who can help ?????

Alexey_D
Level 3

I do the same. But nothing changed. My exchange server don't backup since last weekend!!!

DanielS_
Not applicable
Partner

Hi i have the same problem.

Nothing helps

I dont have more ideas Exchange, Backup Exec, Windows are up to date.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Alex_B_
Level 2

OK,

my Backup from Exchange is OK now.

But i don´t know why !

1) I have edit the Registry like i post 2 Comments before.
2) I configured the Windows Firewall on Exchange and on the Media Server.I turned off the Firewall in every Profile (Domain, Public, ..) Then i disabled the Firewall Service.

3) Uninstall RAWS from Exchange
4) Reinstall RAWS to Exchange from the Media Server
5) no Reboot on Exchange Server

notice that the Information Store shows 0kb for both the Mailbox Database and the Public Folder

but it works perfectly.

I hope i can help you with this.

Have a nice weekend

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Just contact symantec support I feel hotfix need to applied

have look this KB

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/348284.htm

&

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346021.htm

Patrick201070
Not applicable

I had the same problems since friday last week. I solved them adding manually the backupexec account to exchange domain admnistrators group. After doing this backup started to work like before.

strangerhkn
Level 2

I have the same problem but I didn't solve it. I tried everything in this page, but backup doesn't start. Information store still shows 0 KB. I insttaled Backup exec 2010 R2 Sp1 and My exchange server is 2010 Sp1.

How can i solve this problem??

Best Regards

allmind
Not applicable

Done ALL steps - it works!

My Scenario:

Windows 2008 R2 SP1 + Hotfixes + Exchange 2010 SP1 - no DAG

Windows 2008 R2 SP1 + Hotfixes+ Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 + Hotfixes

everything fully patched

Symantec KB article for new backup-administrator-account & mailbox:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140090

Symantec KB article for access rights:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126587

Symantec KB change Loginaccount for Exchange Backup Job:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137852

& add registry-key on both machines as listed above:

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

Backup is running, restore for each mailbox-item possible!

enjoy your weekend

alex

strangerhkn
Level 2

allmind thank you very much for your answer. I solved my problem.

My problem was exchange management shell problem. When I install Exchange 2010 SP1 on my exchange server, Exchane management shell doesn't work. I find this problem and I solved EMS problem.

Now Backup Process works fine.

Best Regards 

L__Capol
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I had the same problem, I even installed BackupExec on the same physical server Exchange was installed on. As I installed BackupExec BEFORE I installed Exchange 2010, i think BackupExec was not aware of teh presence of Exchange at installation time. I the deinstalled BackupExec and all the remoteagents on all servers. Then I just reinstalled BackupExec 2010 and saw that there was a remoteagent installed on the same server. Now I can backup the Exchange store without any problems.

I know that it's not a perfect solution to install BackupExec with Exchange on the same server, but as this is the only 64bit server in the environment and the customer did not want to buy another new server, this was the only solution.

Hope this helps

Regards

CraigV

Hi,

The only way any backup software is aware of an application (ie. SQL/Exchange/Lotus Notes etc) is when an agent is installed. This licenses the software to "see" the application allowing it to back it up.

Hope this helps...

kalya
Level 1

Backup success after i'm added backup account to a group Exchange Organization Administrators