cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Store shows 0kb, can't backup Exchange 2010 with BE 2010 R2

TheMind
Level 3
Hello.

I've read several technotes about this, and threads, and haven't found the answer yet. 

I have moved Backup Exec 2010 R2 to a WIndows Server 2008 R2 x64 machine so that I could backup my Exchange 2010.  My Exchange 2010 server is a VM within ESXi 4.1, for reference, but the RAWS is installed on the Exchange 2010 VM, and so is VMWare Tools.  I have installed the Exchange 2010 Management tools on the new BE Media server.  The Exchange 2010 server already has the MAPI/CDO 1.2.1 installed.

I am getting this when trying to choose selections for doing a GRT backup of the Exchange 2010 server...notice that the Information Store shows 0kb for both the Mailbox Database and the Public Folder Database:

I found out that I did NOT have the Backup Exec system account set in the Local Admin group on the Ex2010 server, and did NOT have that account in the "Organization Management" role group.  I fixed both things, and verified that the account is a Local Admin on the mail server and is in the "Organization Management" role group.  Yet, I still can't get the Information Store to populate and backup.

I tried just selecting the Information Store here anyways thinking maybe it was a glitch, and when running the backup, I received this error:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get the Exchange 2010 GRT backup to work?
22 REPLIES 22

Cyberknecht
Not applicable

...nothing to do with Backupaccount and so on.

I had this problem after applying Exchange 2010 - SP1 - UpdateRollup3 - Outlook 2003 Connectivity was dramatically improved, BackupExec sucked...

.....after re-entering the Serials, the backup went fine...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...so applying a patch from Microsoft automatically means that Backup Exec sucks...? Sounds like it was an MS problem... wink

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified

For those of you on this thread that have had to use one of the prescribed solutions above, I'd like to know what additional actions you might like to see Backup Exec "take" in order to help notify you of the problem and potentially how to fix it. What would be the cases and suggested actions?

What we currently do is put in the Admin Guide that the Exchange tools are needed and during install with the Exchange agent "picked" we warn that the Exchange tools are needed to perform the GRT "magic" (I'm paraphrasing). A couple mitigating factors I've seen from the comments above is when the Exchange server gets upgraded or a patch is applied that alters the binaries also included with the Exchange tools (and that need to be in "sync" in some cases, depending on the changes the patch makes).

Disclaimer: I'm the Beta Program Manager for Backup Exec, so I'm always looking for this kind of feedback and in a recent Beta I saw a tester come across the issue with the "rollup" patch; it stumped me too at first (Exchange guru knew right away what it was).

2nd Disclaimer: I'm easily stumped