cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infos about Backup Full and Incr

cryme77
Level 3

Hi,

I have a question about Backup Exec, actually we do incremental backups Monday to Thursday and do a Full on the week-end.

Some times the FULL backup do 50% of the job and failed, but we dont have the time to re-run the Full, and the monday the incremental backup is OK, but I want to know if all my files are backuped ? (because of the 50% full backup making before failed)

Sorry for my english, I hope you understand and thanks for your answer!

Regards,

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Hi cryme77,

If the full fails than the incremental backup is based on the last incremental backup.  In a disaster recovery situation all the incrementals would need to be restored in the correct order.  To reduce the potential for issues a full backup needs to run successfully. 

What error is the full failing with?

cryme77
Level 3

Hi Imosla,

Thanks for your answer, I have an other question about that, because I think to understand than during the backup there is a "1 or 0" mark on the file to know if it's backup or not. So if the full backup mark 50% of files to 1 maybe the next Incremental doesnt backup these files?

The full failing because of hardware:

Error             : e00084ed - A hardware error occurred.

I have a lot of tape with this state : "end marker unreadable" but there is only 1 - 10gb write..

And my second probleme is the time of backups, because somes backups take 20/25hours so i can't re-run them during the week-end..

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You have no choice. If your full backup fails, you have to rerun it again before you can continue with your incremental backup. Suppose you are using the archive bit method and a file with archive bit of is not backed up by the failed full backup, the subsequent incremental backup will also not back it up if it is not modified. Hence your backup chain is incomplete. The incremental backups after a failed full backup are also not dependent on the incremental backups before the failed full backup. A file modified after the last incremental backup can be backed up by the full backup and it's archive bit would be reset. This file would not be in the subsequent incremental backups or the previous incremental backups If you are using BE 2012 or BE 2014, you would be forced to do a full backup before you can proceed with your incremental backups. If your tape drive is giving hardware errors, then you should run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against it to check for errors. Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand

cryme77
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your answer !

I'm using BE 11d :)

I will try the diagnostic next time I have access to the LTO, so next week.

Regards,

cryme77
Level 3

Hi,

I take a screen from backupexec, this night we had the same problem with the LTO2, he write some data and then end marker unreadable...

failedlto2.jpg

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

End Marker Unreadable is due to the job failing and being unable to properly close the tape.  Do a backup to disk if you have sufficient space.  If this is successful, it is another indication that your tape drive is bad and needs to be replaced.

cryme77
Level 3

I make an other test, I quick Erase the 2nd tape and re-run the job and it's successfull..

I have this problem for a few weeks and on different tape (we have about 40-50 tapes)

Thanks