cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited Backup Exec Environment; D2T Issues

SunPropellerHea
Level 2

Hi:

I recently inherited a Backup Exec 2010 R3 environment.  While I am moderately proficient with NBU I had never worked with or saw BE.  The intention is to abandon the environment and migrate to NBU or some other protection solution.  There are over 30 TB of storage being used for disk backup jobs.  Many of these jobs had not been run for some time as tapes needed to be rotated out of their libraries.  Currently nearly all the tapes in the libraries have been replaced by Scratch and I have initialized them for use.  I have run every duplication backup to tape job configured and around 90% of them fail.  The failure codes are generally:  "e0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found. Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37956"

I have inventoried all 7 of the disk backup devices, why they are carved into 4 GB chunks for Terabytes worth of storage is beyond my comprehension but ... I am also in the process of cataloging all the disk storage.  Many are failing with "Catalog 01521 -- The job failed with the following error: The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation."  Sounds like I am going in circles.  Should I have catalog-ed before the Inventory?  Seems strange from a NBU perspective.  The intent is to get disk storage to tape should a restore be required and decommision the environment.  There are other errors associated with the catalogue process indicating that it wants physical media like tapes.  "Catalog 00799 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Media not found."  I did notice that when I go under Devices and select one of the disk storage "groups" in the right panel where the 4 GB chunks of disk media "live" I can select groups and vault.  From the help menu this does not sound like NBU vaulting where I can duplicate the disk unit contents to tape or any other media.  Kindly advise on what is the best way to get the disk storage to tape if I am fumbling.  I am aware of the process detailed in a Symantec TN about migrating BE tapes into a NBU environment should this be desired.  Thanks for any and all assistance. 

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

see if the solution in this document applies: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140661 

This might occur if there is media in the selection list that is no longer available.  Have you tried recreating one of the jobs?  

SunPropellerHea
Level 2

I have reviewed the TN.  Of the jobs which failed I will usually see several entries which look like the following: <Catalog Not Found> [Set #]/SUBDIR     most of the time all the entries look like this.  I have been trying to re-catalog all the disk storage to try and get it archived to tape.  I can't run any of the duplication jobs which don't have a catalog.  Once a duplication job from D2T completes what happens to the disk storage?  Is it automatically reclaimed or do I have to do a manual delete?  Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...disk space should be automatically reclaimed. There should be no reason to do this manually yourself, unless you have an issue and are directed to do so.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just highlight the Catalog not found errors and then delete the lines until you only have the valid catalog entries, save the job and then do a run now on the job (in the job history pane). If you have any jobs in this state where no valid entries exist in the list then you will have to run the original backup to disk and then duplicate again and then edit the lists as you cannot save the edits with no entries in the list.

This is probably caused because the original disk sets that should have been duplicated never were and now something has overwritten them (because they went beyond their protection times without being duplicated. As such a catalog will not reset the problem because the media the duplicate job expects to use is no longer there.

If you have lots of jobs with lots of entries like this then it is probably an indication that duplicate jobs have not been running correctly for a long time.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

He is using BE 2010 R3 which means disk space is done by overwrites and not automatically reclaimed (DLM arrives in BE 2012 and later)