cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Error (SQL Server Express)

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Hello,

I need help, when i am installing Backup Exec, in the last step (installing Microsoft SQL Server) shows a message that says "There was an error in the installing".

I need to migrate from BE 2010 R1. The SQL and DataBase exists. 

Greetings and sorry for my english.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Ok, I got it. I uninstalled the BE2010 R1, I restarted the server, I Downloaded SQLSVR_ESN.exe SP4, from Microsoft WebSite and installed "clean" BE 2012. At the moment that the installer questions about SQL, I called the SQLSVR_ESN.exe. and bingo!!, The installation was succesfully.

Thanks for you helpful.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Try stopping any antivirus running on the media server, and then running the installation again.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the installation logs of Backup Exec. The file that needs to be checked is BKUPINST.HTM.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Hello

CraigV, I tried to stop the services of the Symantec Endpoint AV, but the issue persist. Thanks to you wink

Sush... 

This is a part from the summary.txt this file is named from BKUPINST.HTM

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.5000.00 
============================== 
OS Version      :  (Build 7600) 
Time            : Fri Jun 22 10:01:18 2012 

PRINCIPAL2010 : 64-bit ASP.Net is Registered. Required 32-bit ASP.Net to install Microsoft Reporting Services 2005(32-bit).
Machine         : PRINCIPAL2010 
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English) 
Product Version : 9.00.5000.00 
Install         : Successful 
Log File        : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SQLSupport_1.log 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 
Log File        : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SQLNCLI_1.log 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer 
Log File        : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SqlWriter_1.log 
Product         : SQL Server Database Services
Error           : Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
Language check:
Your upgrade is blocked because of cross-language compatibility rules. For more information about cross-language support, see the Version and Edition Upgrades topic in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Product         : SQL Server Database Services
Error           : Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
Language check:
Your upgrade is blocked because of cross-language compatibility rules. For more information about cross-language support, see the Version and Edition Upgrades topic in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition 
Product Version : 9.4.5000.00 
Install         : Failed 
Log File        : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SQL.log 
Last Action     : ValidateUpgrade 
Error String    : Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
Language check:

Error Number    : 29543 

SQL Server Setup failed. For more information, review the Setup log file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt. 

Time            : Fri Jun 22 10:01:37 2012

List of log files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_Core(Local).log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SQLSupport_1.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SQLNCLI_1.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SqlWriter_1.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SQL.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_Datastore.xml
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_.NET Framework 2.0.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_Support.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_Core.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_PRINCIPAL2010_SCC.log

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is Backup Exec using the default instance (BKUPEXEC) or is it installed on any NAMED  instance of SQL ?

If its not the default instance then what is the version of SQL its installed on?

Thanks,

-Sush...

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Backup Exec use the default instance (BKUPEXEC) on SQL Server 2005 

Thanks

CraigV

Fabian: As part of the upgrade, the BE services are stopped. I've seen some weird issues where services were in a Stopping state, causing upgrades and installations to fail.

Maybe try stopping all the BE services, including the SQL service, and then trying the upgrade again!

Thanks!

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Hello CgraigV, I'll try to stop the SQL Server Service (MSSQLSVR) at night, because at the moment it's operative. 

Thanks, and I will to feed back in other post.

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Now I restarted the server and stopped all SQL Services, but the issue persists. 

CraigV

Hi Fabian,

You're able to upgrade from BE 2010 R1, but I wonder if you don't rather upgrade to BE 2010 R3 with SP2, and then upgrade to BE 2012 from that?

Thanks!

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Ok, I got it. I uninstalled the BE2010 R1, I restarted the server, I Downloaded SQLSVR_ESN.exe SP4, from Microsoft WebSite and installed "clean" BE 2012. At the moment that the installer questions about SQL, I called the SQLSVR_ESN.exe. and bingo!!, The installation was succesfully.

Thanks for you helpful.

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Fabian,

Wanted to give some insight for any others on the thread who may experience this issue and why Fabian's solution worked.

Microsoft does not support mixed languages of SQL installed on a non-english system. So, if you are on a spanish machine, and have a spanish SQL Server 2005 installed lets say, and you try to install or upgrade a SQL 2005 Express instance using an english package, you will get the error:

So, the solution is to use the same language of SQL as the other instances of SQL running on the system. You cannot have Spanish SQL Server 2005 and English SQL Express 2005 since they use different languages. They have to match.

So Fabian's solution to download the ESN(Spanish) version of the SQL Express 2005 installer package from Microsoft solved his issue. Backup Exec carries the english version of SQL 2005 Express SP4 on our media.(2012 anyways, older versions like BE 2010 had SP3 included on the media). If we detect that there is a non-english version of SQL present on the system, we prompt for the install package of SQL Express 2005 SP4 for that language. This is to comply with Microsoft's language requirements mentioned above.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Fabian_Melo
Level 3

Hello NIck, your explanation it's very good. I have another instance of SQL Server 2005 in SPANISH collation that use it's for the BD of ERP System. but the OS Windows Server 2008 it's in english.

Greetings