cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Failing

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Trying BE 2015 on server 2012 R2 and it keeps failing when trying to attach to the SQL server 2014. Here is the exact error:

Capture1.PNG

The install does notice the SQL cluster and i have tried to enter the cluster/computer name\instance and the install locks up and i must kill the setup process. The drive the SQL DB resides on is attached to a server via SaS cable and other DB's have no problem accessing the drive/DB's. I can browse to that drive from the server where BE 2015 is being installed. Why can't BE 2015 install? I don't see SQL 2014 listed as "supported".........

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whilst this should not cause a failure - are you trying to put the Backup Exec database into a SQL instance that is shared with production databases for other applications as if you are this is not a recommended setup (primarily due to extra complexity in the event of recovery from a disaster)

Recommenced setup is always put Backup Exec in an instance on it's own and for simplicity on BE servers that are not busy (so not managing a huge number of josb and backup sets)  use the SQL Express instance that we will install for you.

For very busy servers or CASO setups with a large managed environment we do recommend that full SQL is used (but still a unique instance)

Also if not letting BE use the express instance we install for you then it is recommended to NOT call the instance you are using BKUPEXEC as this can cause problems for future upgrades.

Some more info here:

https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, no support on the trial version unless you have active maintenance currently.

If you can trash and recreate the server, then do so, otherwise just install the SQL Express instance. It works incredibly well.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Colin_Weaver

Whilst this should not cause a failure - are you trying to put the Backup Exec database into a SQL instance that is shared with production databases for other applications as if you are this is not a recommended setup (primarily due to extra complexity in the event of recovery from a disaster)

Recommenced setup is always put Backup Exec in an instance on it's own and for simplicity on BE servers that are not busy (so not managing a huge number of josb and backup sets)  use the SQL Express instance that we will install for you.

For very busy servers or CASO setups with a large managed environment we do recommend that full SQL is used (but still a unique instance)

Also if not letting BE use the express instance we install for you then it is recommended to NOT call the instance you are using BKUPEXEC as this can cause problems for future upgrades.

Some more info here:

https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs

FORGIVEN
Level 4

To answer your question, yes i am trying to put the BE DB in a shared SQL instance. I will create a new instance for BE only.

From the link you shared, i don't see a problem with using the full SQL install. We don't use the software firewall, the permissions can be set on the folders, SQL is patched with Windows updates, etc. Any idea as to why this error 1606?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you thought about how you are going to recover your media server server which is not using the default BEDB?

Colin_Weaver

The reason to not use a full SQL instance is only why do you  need to if the express edition (on the same server as BE)  can do the job.

Also as per pkh comment (probably below because of reply ordering) unless you have a really good reason to install in a non-default instance (so very busy Backup Exec server) because the DR process for the Backup Exec server itself is more complicated with remote SQL it is stil better to stay with local default express instance.

FORGIVEN
Level 4

pkh, my thought for recovering the media server is we always make a baseline install of all the servers then copy the vhdx somewhere else so all we have to do is make a new VM uisng the copied vhdx. Wouldn't that work (it has worked for other servers)?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you tested this recovery?

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Well, i have but not with BE and the first thing i think of are the backup sets (i might be calling it the wrong thing). How will BE know of all the backups after the baseline vhdx is made? Are you saying that when using a custom SQL instance (not the msde) there is no way to recover a media server should it fail?

I should also restate that the SQL servers are in a MS failover cluster and i wonder if this is why we are getting that error? Do we need to run the cluster wizard from BE (maybe that does not exist now)?

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Here is what the install log says:

01-15-2016,16:45:41 : Selecte the Tape Device Driver: False
+ 01-15-2016,16:46:10 : Could not determine the version of sql for instance
01-15-2016,16:46:10 : SQL_GetServiceName. GetComputerName
01-15-2016,16:46:10 : ServerName
01-15-2016,16:46:14 : SQLBrowser service is not running. Starting service.
+ 01-15-2016,16:46:17 : SQLBrowser failed to start. Connection requests to SQL server BE15DB might fail.
01-15-2016,16:46:21 : Error returned from OpenSCManager: 1722
+ 01-15-2016,16:46:26 : V-225-204: Could not start the SQL server BE15DB with service name of MSSQLSERVER ***To search for information about this error, click here
+ 01-15-2016,16:46:26 : Unable to connect to a SQL Server BE15DB on machine BE15DB.
+ 01-15-2016,16:47:57 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 1. GetLastError = :0

Seems to me that BE install is trying to start SQLBrowser on BE15DB which is NOT an actual computer. BE15DB is the SQL cluster name.

FORGIVEN
Level 4
I went ahead and installed with a local msde install thinking I can move the bedb to the full sql install using beutility but this also gives an error. Beutility just says it failed, no specific error so I enabled error logs in beutility but going by the times of the logs, don't see any error in there either. First question, where exactly would I find the errors related to beutility and moving the bedb? Second question, anyone have any ideas as to why this is erroring? Sql 2014 in a 2 node cluster. I have made a separate instance for BE and can login using sql studio management. That instance does accept remote connections. I installed BE with a domain admin account and I can login to the sql instance with that same domain acct. Sql instance is run with a non-domain acct. (I have tried using the sql non-domain acct with BE and received the same error).

FORGIVEN
Level 4
Pkh, you marked my comment as a solution. Can I ask why? Are you trying to tell me that BE cannot be installed on a sql cluster?

CraigV

If you're trying to install Backup Exec on a cluster, have you seen the TN below?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH64591

THanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  This new website sometimes marks an answer as a solution when I am scrolling through the discussion.

FORGIVEN
Level 4

I'm not installing BE on a cluster but BE DB to a cluster of sql 2014 servers.

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Any with any ideas? Can you get support with a trial version?

CraigV

No, no support on the trial version unless you have active maintenance currently.

If you can trash and recreate the server, then do so, otherwise just install the SQL Express instance. It works incredibly well.

Thanks!