cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Question (Media Servers)

TimMorton
Level 3

I have 1 media server (server a) that backs up itself and 3 other servers (servers b, c, and d) to a B2D folder and a tape drive.

Server B also has a tape drive that i would like to start using.

Do I have to load server b as a media server so that I can start using that tape drive as well or is there another way to attach this tape drive to the current media server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Tim,

To be honest in your case with 2 servers, CASO is a waste of money.

You can simply get around this by loading the Backup Exec Remote Console on your workstation/laptop, and then managing the servers from there. It is a free installation, and no license is needed. All you would do is put in the respective media server's name to change the focus to that server. Similarily, BE itself allows you to swop to another media server by changing the name. This would get done under Tools --> Network and Security as far as I can remember.

Anything over 3 or 4 servers...? Then CASO makes a bit more sense. To give you an idea, we have a CASO server managing over 30 BE 2010 R2 servers.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Yes if you want to use the 2nd tape drive then either you will have too see if there is any scsi port available to connect the tape drive if not then you will have to install backupexec on 2nd server & then do backup as remote tape drive backup are still not supported

Also for an instance if your 2nd server was linux & then if you attach tape library to it then you can backup to that tape library from 1st Media server

If this information was helpful to you please mark the post solved

Thank You

TimMorton
Level 3

So then the remote agent that is installed will not work... You would think that if there was a remote media agent for Linux there would be something that would work the same for a Windows Server...

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Thank you for your update on same,

Yes if you install remote agent on B server which is connected with tape library backup exec will not be able to do backup on that remote tape libray

But yes if that B server is linux server with tape library connected then you can need RMAL license for linux & then install remote agent for linux on that server & do backup from media server to that tape library

Please mark this post solved if this answers your question

Thank You

TimMorton
Level 3

Then maybe i should ask another question... How do I make Server A a CASO server so that I can manage Server B with it? Is this my best option?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

CASO -MMS would be good option if you want to manage job centrally but not devices so yes if you want to manage job centrally from CAS server yes you can go with that option but as said in above post you will not be able to manage the tape library from the CAS server you will have to do that from managed media server were library is connected

Please mark this post solved if this answers your question

Thank You

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

To add to the above, CASO is a license (paid) option.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Tim,

To be honest in your case with 2 servers, CASO is a waste of money.

You can simply get around this by loading the Backup Exec Remote Console on your workstation/laptop, and then managing the servers from there. It is a free installation, and no license is needed. All you would do is put in the respective media server's name to change the focus to that server. Similarily, BE itself allows you to swop to another media server by changing the name. This would get done under Tools --> Network and Security as far as I can remember.

Anything over 3 or 4 servers...? Then CASO makes a bit more sense. To give you an idea, we have a CASO server managing over 30 BE 2010 R2 servers.

Thanks!

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Tim,

I believe your dout are cleared by now if not please please update with the post if you have any other douts on same 

Please mark the post solved if your douts are clear

I appreciate your response on same

Thank You