cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Symantec Backup Exec 2012 on VMware vCenter 5.1 Server ???

TekDeh
Level 3

Hello everyone,

• I have an VMware infrastructure in cluster with two ESXi hosts.
  • I have a vCenter 5.1 Server installed as a VM on a Windows 2008 R2

The question is: Can I install Symantec Backup Exec 2012 on VMware vCenter 5.1 Server? Can they coexist on the same box?

Thank you all very much in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Yes though it is not recommended and is considered a Alternate Configuration.  If you had a problem and you called into support it would need to be proven that the problem would also occur on a physical machine.

Device connections very well could be very difficult to configure as well.

Please see this document:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Symantec doesn't recommend the use of a VM as a media server

lmosla
Level 6

Yes though it is not recommended and is considered a Alternate Configuration.  If you had a problem and you called into support it would need to be proven that the problem would also occur on a physical machine.

Device connections very well could be very difficult to configure as well.

Please see this document:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

TekDeh
Level 3

I understand the recomendation. But cheap customers wants cheap solutions and this is one of those cases.

Let´s "imagine" the vCenter Server is NOT a VM. It´s a physical server. Could it be done?

TekDeh
Level 3

Thank you very much Imosla. Simple and straight forward. I just needed to know if YES / NO.

Like I said. Cheap customers usually don´t think and don´t to hear recomendations. Unfortunally these are disaster waiting to happen. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you mean IF the VC is a physical server, can you install BE on it? The answer to this is yes. All the virtualised sites I looked after were set up this way.

Thanks!