cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation debate

Sylvain_Simpson
Level 2
Hi,
I have a few servers and would like someone's opinion.
My collegue suggests that I install the backup software onto a different machine than the file server.
I myself would rather install it on the same machine and once done take an image of my server.

Now, who can tell me which one would be best, and please tell me why you think so.

thks,
Syl
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If this was a Database Server (Exchange, MSSQL, Oracle etc) I would NOT connect to it

For a File Server, I might go ahead and connect it.

But by preference, I'd use a dedicated backup machine, even if it was just an XP Desktop. Just make sure that you have plenty of RAM in the desktop. 'Course this would mean that you need an extra RAWS license, but ...

Sylvain_Simpson
Level 2
BUt if it was just an File server with nothing else. and wanted to keep the numbers of server's down. What would you do. I have a choice to install on an app server , already with SQL, and Anti virus or a server that is just going to have the data on it.

Those are my 2 choices.

thks for your opinion

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As I said, I would NOT set up a database server as media server.

That being the case I guess the File Server is the best choice, if you can't talk management into a dedicated backup server

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Just in case you need a second opinion, I am also seconding Ken's suggestion. It will better if you keep a separate machine which will act as the backup server, in this case, the file server can be preferred to the database server.

Database servers has some load due to the db applications which are also very critical, so will the backup server have such load. Thus it is better to keep them separate if possible.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
I would also agree with Ken. You have to consider the fact that you may have to reboot said server if issues arise.
If you have a dedicated backup server then you can reboot it whenever you wish!

Gilly

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Could you please Udpate us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta