cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issue, unable to authenticate with the user and password given

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
Hello all,
I'm trying to install BE 10d on a W2003 server with Terminal Services.
After I accept the licence terms and supply the user and password for Backup Exec to run, I get the following message:
"Unable to authenticate with the username and password information given for SERVER\Administrator".
I've tried creating several different accounts and letting setup creating its own account but to no avail.
I tried copying installation files on the hard drive, downloading the newer version, installing it through windows' own installer and still nothing.
hope someone can help me.
23 REPLIES 23

Edward_Charles
Level 6
I've never experienced that before, I've had a similar issue when pushing out the remote agents however and it was related to a software firewall which was enabled.

Hope you find the more usefull answer soon, let us know.

Regards,

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try creating a new account in Active directory which has domain admin rights and then try using this account and verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
The server is not part of any domain, there are no AD controllers in its network.
I checked anyway just to be sure, I've no AD snap-in.
When I get to the user and password request the server name is automatically selected in the "domain" tab. I've checked and, since this is a local install, it should be correct that way.
Strange thing is, I've installed BE successfully on another 2003 server, in the same network, with no problems at all. I didn't even have to create a special account, I just used administrator and the server name and everything went fine.
The accounts created by the installation process, too, after having been successfully generated, gave the same error messages (unable to authenticate with the user and password given for..).
Let me know if I can give you further details.

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
Had troubles with my browser, please disregard this postMessage was edited by:
Mario Rossi

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Please update us on the issue.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
Issue is not resolved in spite of everything I tried.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Mario,

Are you still installing via Terminal services?

If yes,then we recommend that you install Backup Exec locally on that server.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
I've tried installing via console, downloading the latest build, unpacking it on my hard drive and then launching setup from there.
Still nothing.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned in our previous mail please create a user give it local admin rights and also verify that the install and temp folders have full control

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Ken_McCrohan
Level 2
I am having the same problem installing 9.1 on a 2k3 server that is not in a domain. I have tried various combos of blanking the domain window, different users, having install try to create a user, nothing has worked so far. There is an unanswered question from '04 on the 9.1 forum. Does anyone at Symantec know what is going on?

Ken_McCrohan
Level 2
Here are previous similar threads, there are more.

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english&item=63942&utag=

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english&item=75813&utag=

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?utag=&group=veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english&xrelated=51372&cmd_related=Related+Items

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english&item=55462&utag=

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english&item=42005&utag=

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
As I've mentioned, many times, in my previous posts I've done all of the above and more. I've tried installing in every possible way, creating every possible account, still I solved nothing.
Thanks to Ken for his links and his aknowledgement I'm not the only one with this problem.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Ken,

Could you check if you see any error in the Bkupinst.log situated under the Windows Root folder of the OS.

Because this is a Installation issue, you could also open a Free Email support case with us from the Support Website. That willl make it easier to check the logs and troubleshoot the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Ken_McCrohan
Level 2
IT is not exactly a new install, a HD died and corrupted the OS so I had to rebuild. Anyway, I hope they can answer the question. I will not be local to the machine today, hopefully tomorrow.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Please ensure that the System and the Backup Exec Accounts have full control on the Folder in which you are installing backup Exec and from the target directory where you have stored the installation files and also the Install folder and the Temp folders in the WINNT folder before running the installation.

Also ensure that the terminal services have been started in install mode!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_McCrohan
Level 2
What does terminal svcs have to do with it, it's local? I will have to check on the folders but I would think that the local admin account does have full control. I have a hard time believing that the prolblem is that simple because if it was then it would happen to everyone all the time.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Mario,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
Updating.. again...
Problem is still there. I cannot get the installation going. It keeps stopping saying the user name and password I supply cannot be used for the authentication.
I've tried everything suggested. Thrice. If not more.
Local Installation. Terminal Service Installation. Copying installation files to hard drive. Downloading new release. Checking for permissions and administration rights. Everything.

It simply will refuse to install.