cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issue, unable to authenticate with the user and password given

Mario_Rossi_2
Level 3
Hello all,
I'm trying to install BE 10d on a W2003 server with Terminal Services.
After I accept the licence terms and supply the user and password for Backup Exec to run, I get the following message:
"Unable to authenticate with the username and password information given for SERVER\Administrator".
I've tried creating several different accounts and letting setup creating its own account but to no avail.
I tried copying installation files on the hard drive, downloading the newer version, installing it through windows' own installer and still nothing.
hope someone can help me.
23 REPLIES 23

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you paste the contents of the bkupinst.log in this space?

Its saved in the C:'\Windows path.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Beng_Yang_Ang
Level 3
Just to check with you... do you mean installing Backup Exec 10d or is it Remote Agent to this Server?

Btw, I believe you can't do the installation through terminal services.
You may want to try to do it locally and see if the problem pops up again.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you update us on the issue?

If the issue persists please paste the contents of the "C:\Windows\bkupinst.log" here.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

DianB
Level 2

Hi, I am new to Veritas and Backup Exec. We have a client that requires file server backup, and after research Backup Exec looks like the perfect solution. When installing the Backup Exec, we ran into a problem at the Service Account setup. The installation refuses to accept our admin username + password to complete the install. error: 'Unable to authenticate with the user and password information given..'

After doing some research on the Veritas knowledge base permissions was set according to what rights Backup Exec service account need.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100015385.html

This did not resolve the issue and our installation cannot complete. 

The install is local on the C Drive with full admin permissions on the install + destination folders.
No log file was created in the Windows root folder.
The server is in a Workgroup and not a Domain controller.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.