cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed New Domain controller

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

BE 2010 R3 is installed on a WS2003 that also used to be a secondary DC.  We installed new primary and secondary domain controllers and demoted the server that BE is installed on.  My problem is now that I have demoted the BE server, I can no longer access Active Directory.  I am getting a "failed to log on to domain" error message.  I confirmed that the account being used to access AD on the new DC is in the local admin group on the new DC.  

Since the BE server used to be a DC, there was a copy of AD on it.  do I need to point BE to the DC that now has AD on it?  Could that be my logon problem?  If so, how do I do that? No passwords or accounts have been changed in the process of bringing up the new DC.

Backups are not executing because of this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, if Backup Exec already ran on the DC it would have Domain Admin rights or you'd have this issue right from the word go.

Just open up BEutility.exe and select the option to change the BE Service Account. Put in account details again and see if this fixes it.

Demoting a DC shouldn't break BE...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It is the issue with the Logon account . The account need to have the domain admin rights.

refer https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH23689.html

" I confirmed that the account being used to access AD on the new DC is in the local admin group on the new DC.  " There should not be a local admin group on the DC.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, if Backup Exec already ran on the DC it would have Domain Admin rights or you'd have this issue right from the word go.

Just open up BEutility.exe and select the option to change the BE Service Account. Put in account details again and see if this fixes it.

Demoting a DC shouldn't break BE...

Thanks!

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Sorry for the delay in answering.  The issue was that we did not change the IP properties of the network connection to the new IP address of the DNS server.   It still had the old DC ip address.  After I changed to the new IP address, I still had to restart the BE SQL service and enter credentials.  All services started properly once I reentered my logon information for the BE SQL service.  I checked dependencies for the BE Engine Service to see what was not starting (BE SQL service) to troubleshoot the problem.

thanks CraigV and RahulG for your help.