Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing BE on a Hyper-V guest running windows

AlexNtowGH
Level 4
Partner

Hi Colleagues,

my customer has 2 physical machines, on of these runs a Hyper-V guests.

He wants to backup both machines with BE.

Is it advisable to install BE Server on one of the guest machines as compared to a phyisal machine? What will be the limitations as compare to running it on a physical machine?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can't access tape devices when BE is virtualized (and support may be limited for USB devices to be used as backup targets as well) However if using Disk, Deduplication or cloud as backup target devices then BE will run inside a VM 

My guess is you probably will have problems doing virtual agent backups of the BE server itself if it is running in a VM (not 100% sure about this)

The usual practice for Hyper-V is put BE server on a Host or on a seperate physical server. If you will be using deduplication, the CPU and RAM requirements for Deduplication might mean it is better to use a separate physical machine.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can't access tape devices when BE is virtualized (and support may be limited for USB devices to be used as backup targets as well) However if using Disk, Deduplication or cloud as backup target devices then BE will run inside a VM 

My guess is you probably will have problems doing virtual agent backups of the BE server itself if it is running in a VM (not 100% sure about this)

The usual practice for Hyper-V is put BE server on a Host or on a seperate physical server. If you will be using deduplication, the CPU and RAM requirements for Deduplication might mean it is better to use a separate physical machine.