Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing CASO with clustered managed backup exec servers

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi guys.

I´m going to set up a CASO enviroment with a little tricky consideration.

The central administration console is installed in a Windows 2012 R2 server. (standalone)

I have two servers which will be clustered using Microsoft cluster and these two servers will be managed backup exec servers.

My question is:

What should I do first, configure the backup exec clusted wizard and then configure each server as a managed backup exec or configure each server as a managed backup exec server and then run the backup exec clusted wizard.

For technical reasons, these two managed backup exec servers are BE 2014.

Thanks for your help

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

All the BE servers must be on the same BE release before they can be managed.  If your intended CAS is BE 16, then the other two BE servers MUST be BE 16.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As well as PKH's correct limitation of mixed versions, you do need to cluster the managed servers before adding to the CAS server.

NOTE: clustering MBEs is no longer considered to be good practice because :

1) You can load balance and have resiliency of backup operations, as backup jobs can run on different managed servers and either automatially or manually be moved the jobs from one managed server to another (which covers for failure of one MBE) using the abilities of CASO itself

2) To provide restore resiliency, you can duplicate the backup sets beteeen Managed Servers using Optimized duplication (this does require a Deduplication configuration)

3) You can share a tape library between Managed BE servers without clustering (using SAN technology) - this covers for restore resilency from tape.

4) You may find the process of applying patches or upgrading more complicated, as in some cases you may have to uncluster to update/upgrade and this would require removal from the CAS in order to uncluster.