cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing CASO

shamee
Level 5

Hi Craig,

If i want to use this server as CASO (only CASO role for managing other BE servers), what items do i need to select in custom installation? Can i select only CASO under Enterprise Server Option or any other items?

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...moved to a new discussion.

When installing the server designated as a CASO, you need to enter in the license for the media server and ESO...that should be all!

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

Thanks Craig. Also i have not seen a document that give the view os CASO console. Also I want to prepare a document before installing this. I want to know whether we can configure CASO to forward alerts or job status to a mail id or group id? I meant, if a job fails, a group of people should get email notification.

CraigV

OK, I'd suggest you do some reading on BE. You're asking a lot of questions around the basics of how it works, and it's going to benefit you greatly if you do this.

CASO is no different from plain BE...it looks the same, logs on the same, does the same stuff, and has the same canned reports. The only visual difference is the Managed Media Servers addition.

Check the TN below on how to setup email notification:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186581

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

Hi Craig, I already read that. But since I need only CASO, i could n't find the information specifically related to CASO there. I have the following three questions on this. Can you please get it answered?

1. Managed Backup Exec server can have which all versions of Backup Exec to be managed by BE2012 CASO?

2. If i use MS SQL Standard version, what kind of license do i need to procure? Just one SQL standard license or any CALs need to be procured?

2. What is the capacty of SQL Express in CASO? How many Managed Backup Exec servers can be supported by BE CASO with SQL Express?

Regards,

CraigV

1. Ideally yes, although CASO will manage 1 version back (BE 2010)...but you want all your media servers on the same version of BE. Same goes for patch levels...patch the CASO first, and then patch every other MMS to the same level.

2. I don't know MS licensing so can't comment. You need to ask this question in the MS forums.

3. It depends on how big your environment is (how many servers), what you're doing with your Data/Catalogs information on the MMS servers, how long you retain data for etc.

I had a CASO looking after 28 servers and never had an issue with SQL Express. It stayed small (about 1GB in size) and worked well with the default settings for media management etc.

Thanks!