cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a new Build version

DanyB
Level 3
 I'm running Backup Exec 9.0 on Windows 2000.  I've never installed a new Build before, do you just download it and install it?  Do I need to do anything special?  Any precautionary steps?

While we're on the subject of builds, which is the most stable, bug-free Build of 9.0?  I definitely don't want to make things any worse than they already are.  Thoughts?

Dany
6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Which version are you planning to upgrade?

lyon
Level 5
 I haven't installed the new build to 9, but I've installed new builds to 8.6. I haven't had any problems. For Veritas a new Build is what everyone else calls a Service Pack.

Lyon

DanyB
Level 3
 Ohhhh a service pack!  Well why don't they just say so?  Thanks for the input lyon.

Dany

lyon
Level 5
It's kind of like applying service packs to SQL Server. When you query the version you get something that needs to be translated. For example:
SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 3 is VERSION 8.00.760 not SQL Server 2000 SP3 (which would be more understandable).
Veritas calls it a BUILD instead of Version, but it's the same thing...keep the users guessing as to what it really means.

Lyon

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for a bit of clarity a Hotfix is an update for an existing build, a Service Pack is a collection of hotfixes for a specific build and a build is a whole new version of Backup Exec.

Also historically 9.0 had it's problems and the 9.1 Build was considered to be the more stable release.

A build can be upgraded to another build by downloading the complete new version and installing over the top - although you can usually only go 2 versions above for this type of upgrade to work.

The latest builds do not support NT4 or Windows 2000 so be careful to check the software compatibility lists if you are considering an upgrade to a new build.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

While we're on the subject of builds, which is the most stable, bug-free Build of 9.0?  I definitely don't want to make things any worse than they already are.  Thoughts?

v9.1 is a free upgrade from v9.0, and will accept all your v9.0 serials.  You can get it from the product donwload page at

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047

Filter for v9.1 and "install"/"patch"/"Driver"

Just install on top of yoru v9.0 code