cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing agent

en_daniel
Level 3

I can't get the agents to install on my redhat servers, there are some five servers, the installation seems to not work on any of them.

I've recently upgraded from version 11d to version 12, the servers currently have version 11d of the backup agent for linux installed on them. I'm trying to upgrade to version 12

I've coppied the files from the CD to a local directory on the server (/backup_exec_install_media)

(the specific version of the server is)

uname -a = 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I've gone into the directory wherer I've coppied the CD files into and run the script in the way suggested in step five of the install instructions found here. http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282010.htm

./installralus

however nothing happens, there is no output from the script, the script just silently fails.

[root@server backup_exec_install_media]# ./installralus
[root@server backup_exec_install_media]#

I'm doing this via an ssh session using putty.

can anyone give instructions of how to install the RALUS agents, or ways to troubleshoot why this isn't working?

6 REPLIES 6

Anser_Arif
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Considering you are using Backup Exec 12.0, please download the installer package (BEWS_12.1364_LINUX-UNIX-MAC_AGENTS.tar.gz) from the link: https://fileconnect.symantec.com/licenselogin.jsp?localeStr=en_US.

Smiley SurprisedNote: You will require a Serial number for Backup Exec 12.0 to download the installer.

If you are using Backup Exec 12.5, go to www.backupexec.com and download the trialware of backup Exec for Windows Servers.

Please follow these steps to install RALUS on the Linux server: 
  1. Create a folder on the / director. Eg, /ralus.
  2. Copy the .tar.gz file to the /ralus directory.
  3. Run the cmd: tar -xvf <filename> in the directory (use terminal).
  4. Go to the directory /ralus/cdimg.
  5. Run the cmd: ./installralus.
  6. Follow the steps in the installation.
  7. After installation is successful, please run the cmd: /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start.

en_daniel
Level 3

Thanks very much.

that works perfectly.

JRHedges
Not applicable
Where on the Backup Exec 12.5 CD is the RALUS .tar.gz file?  I've looked all over my CD, as well as downloaded the trailware, which appears to be the same thing, from www.backupexec.com but I still can't find it.  I see in the Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RALUS folder there are either place holders for the patch updates or the actual patch update, but I don't see the orginal installation file.  I'm I missing something or just not looking in the right place(s)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Jim

en_daniel
Level 3

I can't say for sure on 12.5, but for version 12 it was a seperate CD.

indyjones16
Level 3

I'm trying to install the RALUS agent on a Snap Server 4200 with Gaurdian OS v4.4.049 sp3. when i try and execute the ./installralus command, i get an error stating: "Not Supported Yet."

I'm using BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-SAP_AGENTS.tar.gz and the path to the installralus script is different. there was a script at the root and one in RALUSx86. both gave me the same result.

any idea how to do the install on this hardware?

thanks

indyjones16
Level 3

I'm trying to install the RALUS agent on a Snap Server 4200 with Gaurdian OS v4.4.049 sp3. when i try and execute the ./installralus command, i get an error stating: "Not Supported Yet."

I'm using BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-SAP_AGENTS.tar.gz and the path to the installralus script is different. there was a script at the root and one in RALUSx86. both gave me the same result.

any idea how to do the install on this hardware?

thanks

I have an update to this. i had to purchase an upgrade to the GuardianOS v5.x in order to support the commands. Also, the correct installralus script is the one at the root of the unzipped folder. example: after executing tar -zvxf BEWSxxx.tar.gz there will be an installralus script at the root of the folder were the tar operation unzipped the files to.