cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing and configuring the Early Adopter Program (EAP) build of Backup Exec 2010?

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hello all -

Has anyone had the chance to download and install the EAP build of Backup Exec 2010?  Any issues, comments, or experiences to share?

Remember - there is a weekly prize drawing each Friday afternoon - this week's prize is a Flip Mino HD!  Forum posters are the only folks elegible for weeky prize drawings ;)

Thanks,

Aidan Finley
Sr. Product Manager, Backup Exec
82 REPLIES 82

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
I'm not sure about this one, Ned.  I'll check into it. 

Thanks,

Aidan Finley
Sr. Product Manager, Backup Exec

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hello nkrowe - We do not support deduplication to tape in Backup Exec 2010.

If you set copy data from a deduplication storage folder to a tape, we will "hydrate" or un-deduplicate the data in-line as it is transferred to the tape. 

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

TreeTown
Level 2

I just joined the Early Adopter Program.  Have been using Backup Exec for years.  I use and abused Backup to Disk when that option became available...   Really looking forward to testing the new features!

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Thanks ahall.  Just so I am clear about your config, you have the Remote Agent installed on the 2008 R2 DC that was failing the system state backup?

If this is the case, what OS is your Media Server installed on?

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Thanks Davor - what version of Exchange are you using?  Exchange 2007?  Exchange 2010? 

Were you attempting to do just a "normal backup" or did you configure deduplication with that backup?

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hello Tyson -

Sorry for catching this thread so late.  It sounds like you were atempting to use an existing SQL server (the full version) as your database repository on a remote system?  Or was this the error you recieved when you atempted to use the default SQL Express database on the same machine you were installing the Backup Exec media server?

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hi Roger -

I'll have to check into this issue.  It doesn't sound like it's behaving as it should. 

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
This is intended. The Beta does not support Liveupdate as there will be no LiveUpdate patches to get until GA (General Availability) 

ahall
Level 3
Hi, yes you're correct with the configuration.

The media server is a VM running 2008 R2 Enterprise. I also installed Backup Exec 2010 beta on a Windows XP SP3  and also go the error message as well. Additionally when I tried the job again I got -

"e000ff15 - A communications failure has occurred with a System State resource. " It ran for almost 5 hours and only got to 217,040,273 bytes.

Also, when I'm trying to backup "Microsoft Hyper-V HA Virtual Machines" it is failing as well with the following error message -

"e000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072"

Right now I'm trying to backup the VM by just using the ClusterStorage and selecting the folders and it seems to be working, or at least it's gotten to verify. Something that should also be noted is that within "Microsoft Hyper-V HA virtual machine" I can expand all of the VM's EXCEPT the one DC that is having problems.

[UPDATE: The Backup using "ClusterStorage" and just selecting the folders manually completed HA Hyper-V VM backup job succesfully]

Best,
Andy

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi All,

So in this case the Deduplication feature can only supports the Disk to Disk not to the tape backup ?

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 You cannot go directly from the original source to tape. You have to stage to disk first (called a Deduplication Storage Folder) on the media server and then you can do a duplicate job to tape which, as Aidan said, 're-hydrates' the backup set so that the data can be restored later directly from tape without any reliance upon other sources of backup or storage indexes or sets (which could otherwise lead to VERY lengthy restore times or easily corrupted/unusable backups sets on tape). 

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi James,

OK, now that is make sense :-o)
thanks for the explanation.

So how does one restore the backup from the tape in case the BE Media server got broke ?
can we still insert that tape into newly installed BE Media Server and then performs the restore from there ?

Cheers.

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3

Any news on this yet?

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hello Roger -

Turns out I was incorrect - this is indeed working as designed in the Early Adopter build.   

We're looking to do it differently in the future - expose only those functions that are licensed - but that facility won't be in the BE 2010 release.

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

computerguy21
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to create a deduplication storage folder using the Configure Devices Assistant.  After clicking Deduplication Storage Folder the only setting I change on the New Deduplication Storage Folder is the storage path.  After clicking OK I get the Gather information pop-up, after about 15-30 seconds I get an error message that says "An error occurred while creating the deduplcation storage folder." If I navigate to the location that I set in the assistant a bunch of folders have been created.  There is also an error in the application event log which I have pasted below.  The directory the error referenced does exist.

Thanks,
Scott

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: %t FATAL: data directory "E:/Dedup/databases/pddb/data" does not exist

nkrowe
Level 3
What are the medias that do dedup too???

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
You can dedupe to a disk storage location.  You can create one Deduplicated Storage Folder per media server.

When you move data to tape, the data is moved to that tape "rehydrated" or undeduplicated.

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Computerguy21 - I'll check into this.

Just to cover the basics, the E: drive you use is a local NTFS volume?  Does it work if you let it use the default paths?

Thanks,

Aidan Finley

computerguy21
Level 3
Aidan,

Yes it is a local NTFS volume. it's on a dell powervault with 800GB of free space.      Not sure what you mean by default paths, if you mean setting the storage path to the root of the volume, in my case E:\ the same thing happens.

Thanks,

Scott

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi All,

Does anyone have tried the vStorage backup feature of BE 2010 combned with the Deduplication option ?
Do we have to install the BE 2010 in the same subnet as our SAN to make the backup runs faster ?

Thanks.