cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing and configuring the Early Adopter Program (EAP) build of Backup Exec 2010?

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hello all -

Has anyone had the chance to download and install the EAP build of Backup Exec 2010?  Any issues, comments, or experiences to share?

Remember - there is a weekly prize drawing each Friday afternoon - this week's prize is a Flip Mino HD!  Forum posters are the only folks elegible for weeky prize drawings ;)

Thanks,

Aidan Finley
Sr. Product Manager, Backup Exec
82 REPLIES 82

computerguy21
Level 3
Aidan,

I figured out the issue, it was NTFS permissions for the drive that I was trying to create the deduplication storage folder on.

Thanks,
Scott

timfnb
Level 2
The vstorage agent should be backing up over the SAN not over the network,s o the subnet shouldn't affect the speed. Other factors will -- disk, memory, cpu on your media server.

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
I have a question regarding the GRT backups and restores for the MS Virtual Agent.

I have done complete backups and restores wihtout an issue.

however, when going to restore individual files it says I must have a remote agent installed.

Can I install the remote agent after the fact for the restore or did it have to be installed prior to the backup.

The backup completed fine, restored fine, but only doing a grt resotre does it tell me I need the remote agent installed.

Thanks

Mageaur
Level 2

I'm trying the to use both source-side and target-side deduplication with BE 2010.  If my source is no more than 50GB, it's all good. If it's more I get an error suspiciously close to the 50GB threshold.  Is this a limit of some sort with the trial software?

Here's the error I get (typically):

Job name            : Backup 00007
Job type            : Backup
Job status          : Failed
Job log             : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_SYNCSORTSRV_00043.xml
Server name         : SYNCSORTSRV
Selection list name : Backup 00007
Device name         : Deduplication Storage Folder 51:1
Target name         : Deduplication Storage Folder 51
Media set name      : Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite

All Media Used
OST000030
OST000031

Error category    : Backup Media Errors
Error             : e00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You maFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34028

Job Summary Information
Byte count          : 53,207,665,546 bytes
Job rate            : 545.00 MB/Min (Byte count of all backup sets divided by Elapsed time for all backup sets)
Files               : 501,008
Directories         : 83,351
Skipped files       : 0
Corrupt files       : 0
Files in use        : 0
Original start time : Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:40:14 PM
Job started         : Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:17:14 PM
Job ended           : Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:15:31 PM
Elapsed time        : 01:58:17

tysonmoore
Level 3
Can someone explain the step for creating a duplicate tape job from a dedupe to disk job?

Tyson Moore

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
Are you seeing this problem for both source side and target side? How much free space is on that drive letter (where the Dedup folder is) once the 50GB is written to the Dedup folder?

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
oops. wrong location.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
It's pretty much the same process as any other duplicate job but the media is stored in the Dedup storage folder instead of in a Backup-to-Disk folder or tape drive/library. Should be fairly transparent. The main difference in the operation is that it can take longer than the original job since it has to re-hydrate all of the data into the tape.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 It's the same as any other backup stored on tape. With a new BE install you would need to:
1. inventory the tape (and any other tapes that it may have had to span to)
2. Catalog the tape (this figures out what sets are stored on the tape(s))
3. Create a restore and have fun watching the data stream back :)

Symanticus
Level 6
Thanks for the reply James.

Cheers.

Amer_Abid
Level 3
Hi there:
from SCL information  I can't see that Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 supported on Windows 2008 R2 , I can see the RA is supported, can any one please verify this point and tell us if there are plans to support media server install on Windows 2008 R2, I am talking here single server site, all in one.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/335868.htm
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/324303.htm

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 BE 2010 includes support for a media server install on Windows 2008 R2. However, Windows 7 will be only supported via the remote agent. Windows XP will still support the full media server.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 See my reply below.

Mageaur
Level 2
I'm not sure I understand your first question.  The error seems to be generated by the target side. I've tried 2 different drives and formatted them several times.  Originally, I had a 800GB disk on the SAN as my target dedupe folder. After the failed backup I had about 760 GB free.  After these errors, I was able to perform other backups.  If the source-side had less than 50GB to backup, it would be successful. If it's more, it fails everytime.  I'm also able to do a backup of the local box (admin/media server) which is over 50GB.

Suspecting that iSCSI may be the issue, I then tried formatting a local disk to use as my target dedupe folder.  This drive was 255GB, with 215GB free after a failed backup attempt.  Changing the target drive to a local drive didn't change anything. It still errors out at about 50GB of processed data from the source-side with the same error.

Steven_Myers_2
Level 2
After dupe job finishes, can you duplicate  to Disk, so you have a cataloged version for that day then duplicate to tape or removeable disk?

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
Are you trying to duplicate and protect just one backup set to tape or the whole entire Deduplication Storage Folder? There are two different processes.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
When you create a job that targets the media server's 'Deduplication Storage Folder' there is an option (checkbox) that talks about using 'Direct Access'. With this checked, the source side will attempt to do the Deduplication work and only the 'new' data gets sent across the wire (you have to have pushed the remote agent after installing the Dedup option and only that one server's selections can be in the job). If you uncheck the 'direct access' checkbox then the media server does the deduplication work so most of the data is still sent across the wire but we only store the 'new' data to the Dedup folder. This is what I thought you were talking about when you said target side verssus source side dedup.

That being said, I did find out that we have recently addressed issues that should have resolved this problem (a variation of the problem/error was being seen) and we are definitely not seeing the 50+ GB issue in current builds being tested by our Quality Assurance team.

Steven_Myers_2
Level 2
Protect one backup set.  Same as you would with tape just a disk copy.  I would like to keep 5 days of copies on disk like you would with VTL.

Mageaur
Level 2
Great!  Would it be possible to get one of these new builds?

Please & Thanks,
Robert;

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
Hi,

It's been almost 4 days and I've received no answer.

Maybe it got overlooked.

Can I get this answer?

Thanks