cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing and configuring the Early Adopter Program (EAP) build of Backup Exec 2010?

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
Hello all -

Has anyone had the chance to download and install the EAP build of Backup Exec 2010?  Any issues, comments, or experiences to share?

Remember - there is a weekly prize drawing each Friday afternoon - this week's prize is a Flip Mino HD!  Forum posters are the only folks elegible for weeky prize drawings ;)

Thanks,

Aidan Finley
Sr. Product Manager, Backup Exec
82 REPLIES 82

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
I have this beta installed on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition Media Server.

Currenlty due to Backup Exec 12.5 haveing no support for Media Server in 200R2 and Windows dropping tape support, this server is not being backed up. I knw that a beta install should not be used in Production, however, I've tested and restored the backup on this several times and It's working flawlessly.

My question is, when the trial ends, will I be able to do an in place upgrade to the licensed version? Or will I need to uninstall and re-install the new version? No that it matters much, but it would be great if I had to not do anything and just enter the license keys.

Thanks,

Roger D. Fontaine

Yan_Thung_Seng
Level 4
Dear all,
  Does DLO come with BE2010 any new features or improvement? I hope my clients can backup with dedupe! :)
thanks

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
You need to have the GRT option checked in the Backup Job for the "Microsoft Hyper-V" settings and the Remote Agent does need to be installed on that VM ahead of time. Installing it afterwards will not help. Can you verify whether that Hyper-V GRT checkbox was on by looking at the job setup? If it was on and the job was successful we may need to get a copy of the job log and a debug to check things out.

RussKincaid
Level 1
I've tried both pushing the remote agent, and installing it locally on Windows Server 2003 SP2.  Getting the following error in the installation log after a local installation failure.

11-10-2009,10:15:21 : === Logging stopped: 11/10/2009 10:15:21 ===
11-10-2009,10:15:22 : Failed to join current installation transaction. Unable to install embedded chained installers.
11-10-2009,10:15:24 : The return code from the MSI is: 1603
11-10-2009,10:15:24 : AgentSeqDlgs::PostInstallActions
11-10-2009,10:15:24 : Cleaning up the symc status key
11-10-2009,10:15:25 : The return value for Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems returned error code: 1603
11-10-2009,10:15:29 : AgentSeqDlgs::Misc_BE_CommonOps
11-10-2009,10:15:29 : The Installation Failed!

Any ideas?

boe1
Level 3
Hello,

Can you tell us where to get 2010 for testing?    I have an R2 server running RTM Exchange 2010 which BE 12.5 cannot backup.

Thanks

PS Please disregard found it - https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=88464

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
The GRT was checked in the job.

My question is, the job finished, but I am unable to restore an individual item.

So if I wanted to now restore an individual item. I would have to install the remote agent on the VM and I can do that even after the job completed, correct?

Thanks

tysonmoore
Level 3
Can the DLO folder where all the DLO backups are stored be deduped?  So if two users have the same document, it is only backed up once.

Tyson Moore

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
So if I wanted to now restore an individual item. I would have to install the remote agent on the VM and I can do that even after the job completed, correct? - No, the remote agent on the VM would have to be installed prior to the backup.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure DLO and dedupe do not work together at this point.

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
I tested this myself, and your answer was incorrect. I attempted the restore of a single file without the Remote Agent installed. As expected the restore failed. I installed the remote agent after the fact and restored a single file. It worked like a champ.

So the answer is, in order to restore single files on a server the remote agent can be installed after the fact.

This is a big savings in not having to buy the remote agent for servers that you may never install a single file on, but nice to know it can be done.

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Roger,

Sorry I didn't read you post correctly.  If you have GRT selections (individual files) then installing the remote agent after the fact will work as you saw in testing. 

As for not having to buy the remote agents, with the hyper V license, you get RAWS for free for all the guests on that host.  So you don't have to buy an additional license.  But any apps that you wish to use GRT with, like Exchange or SQL will require an additional license.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 To further expand, I was incorrect on my prior answer in regards to "file" GRT but not Exchange/SQL GRT. I still haven't gotten used to calling the File stuff GRT, so used to thinking of it in terms of DB's. So sorry about that. There is metadata needed for the Exchange & SQL database structures that can only be grabbed via our Remote Agent at the backup time from our installed Remote Agent. The VMware VDDK cannot provide that meta-data through the host.

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
Thanks, that's perfect, even better.

I did not know RAWS came with the Virtual Server license, that makes this much easier.

I do understand the SQL, Exchange piece and the GRT for that, it was the regular GRT files that confused me.

Thanks again

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
I have this beta installed on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition Media Server.

Currenlty due to Backup Exec 12.5 haveing no support for Media Server in 200R2 and Windows dropping tape support, this server is not being backed up. I knw that a beta install should not be used in Production, however, I've tested and restored the backup on this several times and It's working flawlessly.

My question is, when the trial ends, will I be able to do an in place upgrade to the licensed version? Or will I need to uninstall and re-install the new version? No that it matters much, but it would be great if I had to not do anything and just enter the license keys.

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Roger,
When the trial ends you will be able to do an inplace upgrade to the latest version from 12.5

ratnip
Level 3
I think he is asking if the Beta version will be upgradeable to the final released version of 2010. This has my curiousity as well since I to have Windows 2008 R2 Servers in production that need backed up.

Personally I feel that Symantec has let us down with not providing an update for 12.5 Media Server to install on 2008 R2.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
As far as I have been told to this point the Beta version will NOT be upgradeable to the final release version.

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
OK,

So if the beta won't be upgradable then I'll have to unistall the Beta trial and install the full version then.

Since 12.5 does not work on this server, I have no ability to upgrade. I need to do a full install. The beta works and is my only option to upgrade at this time. So I will have no choice I guess but to uninstall the trial version and re-install the full version since it appears there will be no way to just install the keys.

Will there be any issues with this?

Thanks

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
Can I get a reply on this please?

Am I explaining it wrong?

Thanks

Roger_Fontaine
Level 3
Still waiting on this answer.

Really want to get an answer please.

Thanks