cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing or Adding Exhange Server Agent

brvaland
Level 3
Hi Experts

I am newbie to Backup Exec, and trying to install the software on my server and which have exchange server 2007 with SP2.

When I add the feature "Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server", I receive the below Warning Messages.

Microsoft Exchange Agent Warning

You must run a separate installation procedure if you want to continuously back up Exchange transaction logs with the Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server. You must install the CPS Continuous Protection Agent and the CPS Exchange Protection Agent on the media server and on the Exchange Server. You can install both of the CPS Agents from the CPS Administration Console.

About Backing Up Exchange 2007 Servers

To back up Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, you must install the Exchange Management Tools for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 on this computer. The Management Tools can be installed during a custom install of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. To support individual mailbox message and folder restores from Information Store backups, you must also download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later on the Exchange 2007 server. This package can be found on the Microsoft Web site. 

I have already installed Management Tools on the exchange Server 2007, how can i check if I have using the package version 06.05.7888

How can i get the above warning addressed so i can install the Agent for Microsoft Exhange Server?

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Bhavesh
1 REPLY 1

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here is the description of these warnings:
1. first warning is about CPS, if you plan to use CPS software to perform continuous replication of exchange transaction logs. This would require installing CPS on the exchange server and install CPS management server on the Backup Exec server, to be able to do continuous replication of transaction logs. But, this is not mandatory for exchange agent backups. Exchange Agent is independent of CPS. So, this is just a warning, depending on your requirements you may want to install CPS, but you can continue with install at this stage.

2. Next warning is about Exchange 2007. If you plan to backup a remote exchange 2007, you will need to install MAPI CDO tools after downloading from following url:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e17e7f31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&displa...
This is not required, if you do not plan to backup Exchange 2007.

But, during install, you can click on next and continue with install. You may want to consider installing these additional options, if you would be interested in this additional configuraiton.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks