cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructions on how to install Remote Agent on Windows 2003 Server

mahmoudh
Level 2
 Hi Guys,

I am running Backup Exec 11d, and I have to backup files off another server. As I understand I have to install the Backup Exec Remote Agent on that Windows server before it will work.

Can you please send me instruction on how to install the remote agent and any configuration I need to do afterwards?

I tried to install it, but now everytime the backup gets up to backing up the remote files the backup exec service all die.

Mahmoud
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1 of 2 ways:

1. Push the Remote Agent from your Backup Exec server. Under Job Setup, your selection list, go to your server, right-click it and choose :Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option...". If this fails (sometimes fails and tells you that you have to restart your remote server before a further installation is possible!)...
2. Log on locally to your remote server, and browse to your server's installation directory for Backup Exec. Double-click "browser.exe", and click OK until you get to the splash screen. Once you get there, select the option to install the Remote Agent locally. If you install AOFO, you will probably need to restart your server.

mahmoudh
Level 2
Thanks Craig for taking the time to respond so quickly :)

Unforturnately neither method worked for me.

I tried the first method, after I select install, an installation windows appears for a minute or two saying that its preparing to install, and then the window disappears. I checked the remote server and I cant see any traces of it being installed. I check to see if the service was there or if the program appears under add\remove programs; and it was in neither of them.

I then tried the second option, I browse to the installation folder (I assume you mean C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) and I did a search for browser.exe file you were refering to and found nothing.

Am I doing somethingt wrong - any more ideas I could try?

Owais
Level 3
 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276604.htm

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Backup_Restore/Backup_Exec/Q_23771367.html

see this link can help you out..!!

mahmoudh
Level 2
  Hi Guys,

I copied tthe RAWS32 folder to the server that needs the remote agent. I tried to run the setupaa.cmd and nothing happens. I then ran the setup.exe and the installation wizard comes up. I have gone through the wizard three times, rebooting after each occasion. When the server starts backup, there is no sign that tthe remote agent has been installed.

I then went through the event log and saw a number of events letting me know the installation had failed. Event Ids 11708, 1015 and 1517 were logged, the below error message belonged to the first event:

Product: Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems -- Installation operation failed.

I have search the forums, a few other people have had the same issues, and were not able to solve it. Any ideas?

Im thinking the installtion files themselves are corrupted. Is there anywhere I can download a copy remote agent installation files? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Im thinking the installtion files themselves are corrupted. Is there anywhere I can download a copy remote agent installation files? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

You need to download the entire install for your version, AFAIK

the v11d download is at https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=30140