cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument.

P__Witteman
Level 3
Hi,

I bought a brand new tapestreamer from Dell (Powervault 110 LTO2 external) for my Dell SC1600 server with W2K3 SBS. But Backup Exec 9.1 (SP3) gives problems. BE recognizes the streamer as a CERTANCE 1 streamer but It doesn't work. It gives the error: Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument
In the properties it gives on the media type: xxx, (read) no, (write) no
So I think BE doesn't see it should be a LTO-2. I tryed several options in the device wizard, but no improvement.

In the SCSI bios everything is oke and the tapestreamer works fine with NTBackup. (Although I first had to copy mll_BE.dll to %systemroot%\System32, see DOC ID 264969)

After trying several suggestions found on internet and in the Veritas documents I was so desperate,
I installed BE 9.1 again (complete clean install!). No difference. It still gives the following error:

inventory or label tapes:error:
Inventory Drive 0001 -- The job failed with the following error: Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument.

The BEdiag gives the following data:
10/05/05 20:03:04 Device Registry:

Scsi Address
Prt :Bus :Tar :Lun Attributes
------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0000:0000:0000:0000 "atapi", (Port Driver)

------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0001:0000:0000:0000 "atapi", (Port Driver)

0002:0000:0000:0000 "mraid35x", (Port Driver)

0003:0000:0000:0000 "adpu160m", (Port Driver)

0004:0000:0000:0000 "adpu160m", (Port Driver)

0004:0000:0006:0000 "CERTANCEULTRIUM 2 1748", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape0"

0005:0000:0000:0000 "symmpi", (Port Driver)

10/05/05 20:03:12 Device Discovery:

Scsi Address
Prt :Bus :Tar :Lun Attributes

0004:0000:0006:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape0"
Primary Inquiry "CERTANCEULTRIUM 2 1748"
Serial Number "CERTANCEULTRIUM 2 JK00VV6"
Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 1)
Device State 3, Online

Device IDs 1002, {76D58839-8CA9-4089-8D52-835CCEC9D604}
Device Name "CERTANCE 1"
Device Type 0, ""
Device Features 0x00000000
Device Element 0, 0

10/05/05 20:03:12 Device Discovery End:

What's wrong... I'm lost ;-(

pieter
7 REPLIES 7

Ladon
Level 3
Im having the same issue! With the same drive too i think, It is a quantum drive but the driver says its a certance LTO2

It seems like the settings just wont stick. Changing the Media in the Drive Config Wizard doesnt seem to do anything and checking the Read and Write boxes in the drives properties never stay put, as i go back in there and it still says Read No Write No.Ladon

P__Witteman
Level 3
thnx for your reaction

Do you also use BE 9.1for SBS 2K3 server? I'm thinking of buying BE V10.0 SBS for this server, but I want to be sure it's the cure!

grtngs Pieter

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Firstly, please check if the device is explicitely listed and compatible with Backup Exec v9.1 from the below mentioned links :

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271383

If the drive is compatible then please install the latest drivers from the link given below:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

But if the drive is not compatible, then install OEM drivers.
Refer the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253974

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ladon
Level 3
I use BUExec 9.1 but i run it on the standard version of 2000 Server

After searching the forums yesterday i came up with the same fix listed above but when i went to tell Veritas to its drivers for the drive i got an error saying "a valid veritas product installation cannot be found" so i went to reinstall and i got an error during the reinstall saying it was interupted. So i tried uninstalling and got the same error.

Now i cant even open up the app, i cant unistall and i cant reinstall. Ive even tried installing the BUExec 10.0 that came with my drive but it says its an upgrade and there are now previous versions installed to upgrade.

So i tried just installing it as the demo version and got the same interupted error. I seem to be having the worst luck with this app at the moment.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Please elaboarte the exact error message.

Also verify if you are getting any errors in the application or system event log.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ladon
Level 3
I have this error in the event log when i go to uninstall

Event Type:Warning
Event Source:MsiInstaller
Event Category:None
Event ID:1015
Date:10/9/2005
Time:1:19:44 PM
User:***
Computer:***
Description:
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

P__Witteman
Level 3
Yessss,

This new driverset works...
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853
I'm very happy and the Dell Powervault 110 LTO-2 with me ;)

But just one thing:
In the properties of the Certance1 there is in the media type stil xxx read, no / write, no. In the log of bediag mediatype is oke! Strange, but i don't want to worry about it. It's doing the job just fine.

thnx Ajit,

greetings Pieter