cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Schedule - why does this keep happening?

Kalu
Level 3

We're running Backup Exec 12.5 (although this same problem occurred when we used older versions), and occasionally (like once or twice a month) backup jobs will complete, and will then lose all trace of their schedule. They show "Invalid Schedule" under Job Status in the Job Monitor tab. Also, when I go to each job to manually re-enter its schedule, I have to enter it twice. I've long ago learned that the first attempt to re-enter the schedule will fail (so I only add a couple of days for the job), and the job will disappear from the list of jobs shown in the Job Monitor. Then I have to click on the Job Setup tab, repeat entering the job schedule (dates and times), then the job will reappear in the Job Monitor. The restored jobs do remember their Selections, Credentials, Network Settings, etc, they only lose their days and times.

So, why does that happen? I searched the BE forums (and the Internet), and found a number of folks who have had this same issue, with nary a reply from Symantec support folks. In fact, the threads get locked due to non-replies. While this is not a critical error, it is annoying as I have 7 daily backup jobs, and when this problem happens, it's usually 5 jobs that have to be reset (and not always the same jobs).

I know about the time problem with BE when Daylight-Savings time starts or stops, and have to re-enter the schedules then. But this is happening at other times. It's not happening because of a Live Update.

Searching the BE 12.5 Admin manual, it mentions for "Invalid Schedule" that "The scheduled job will not run because of one of the following:

* An associated record in the database is missing, or

* The availability window and the schedule for the selection list being backed up by this job do not have a time in common.

I have the jobs staggered so they start within their availability windows; when the jobs ran just before they reverted to Invalid Schedule, they started at their usual times. They also backed up their usual amount of data, and ran for about the same time as usual. I looked in the Audit Log, and it doesn't show anything that might have anything to do with jobs losing their schedules.

Can anyone from Symantec help? I reckon I could contact Symantec phone support (who are usually excellent in assisting us), but since this is more of an annoyance, I'm hoping someone from Symantec who knows why this happens can post a response (and fix) here so others can also be helped by such a response.

Garry K

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Maybe you can try repairing the BEDB with BEUtility which is located in the BE installation directory.

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

Delete the jobs created by the policy :    HOWTO22919

Recreate the jobs. HOWTO22927

Try an extensive repair on the database.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67239 

Is the Service Pack 1 installed ?