cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory and Catalog of completed job

OJanicki
Level 3

Hello,

Running BE 15 on Server 2012 R2.  I'm looking for a way to have my backup jobs automatically perform an inventory and catalog job on whatever storage media was used when the job completes successfully.  I figure this is probably doable as either a post command or a BEMCLI script. 

I use removable USB hard drives as backup media and I'm needing this as a solution to a long-standing problem where DLM isn't clearing disk space when backup sets expired.  I found by luck that a manual inventory/catalog command will allow DLM to both clear the sets from the database AND clear the .bkf files from the disk, I'm looking for a way to automate this.

Thanks for any help, please let me know if you need more info!

-Oscar

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can do this by executing the Submit-BEInventoryAndCatalogMediaJob cmdlet as a post-command in your backup job. See the BEMCLI manual for its syntax.

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have review and tested agains this scenario and have been unable to reproduce a requirement to run an inventory and catalog against DLM issues after re-attaching a USB disk.

Did you leave ay least 1 hours (BE 15) or 4 hours (BE 2012/2014) after re-attaching or did you expect the data to br reclaimed as soon as the disk was re-attached.

If you did leave this timeframe and you can consistently reproduce this problem then you shoudl consider logging a formal support case.

Note  USB disk that have been detached for too long (I think it is 1 month for USB and 2 weeks for RDX) will be put into Read Only mode. This is by design to avoid a data loss conditoon that might affact customers that were familiar with tape restore processes where the tapes are stored offsite well beyond the expiration of the Overwrite Protection.  The same scenario with a USB disk and DLM would result in a loss of the backup sets you intend to restore if we did not mark the offline disks as read only

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can do this by executing the Submit-BEInventoryAndCatalogMediaJob cmdlet as a post-command in your backup job. See the BEMCLI manual for its syntax.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have review and tested agains this scenario and have been unable to reproduce a requirement to run an inventory and catalog against DLM issues after re-attaching a USB disk.

Did you leave ay least 1 hours (BE 15) or 4 hours (BE 2012/2014) after re-attaching or did you expect the data to br reclaimed as soon as the disk was re-attached.

If you did leave this timeframe and you can consistently reproduce this problem then you shoudl consider logging a formal support case.

Note  USB disk that have been detached for too long (I think it is 1 month for USB and 2 weeks for RDX) will be put into Read Only mode. This is by design to avoid a data loss conditoon that might affact customers that were familiar with tape restore processes where the tapes are stored offsite well beyond the expiration of the Overwrite Protection.  The same scenario with a USB disk and DLM would result in a loss of the backup sets you intend to restore if we did not mark the offline disks as read only