cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory and Catalog tape issue

TandyBrands
Level 4

Greetings. Have Backup Exec 2012 R2 Running on Windows 2008 R2.

I have two Tape libraries: SL500 w/50 tapes, Tandberg w/10 tapes.

Somehow I am missing a backup.  So, after some investigating, I found a backup log telling me that the backup was last done on tape FUL185 in the SL500 tape library/unit. It had been more than 4 weeks, and the media had already been marked as reusable.  There was some more recent data on it (about 20% of the tape had been reused).

So I did an Inventory and Catalog of the tape to see if I could find the backup on the tape.

Now the wierd part. After running for about 4 hours, I get an alert message to "Please insert media INC157 into the robotic library by creating an Import media job".  The Storage is labelled "Robotic Library - Tandberg", which is the OTHER tape library all together (Job name is the same, Catalog 00006).

So, my questions: 1) Did I do this wrong trying to see if I could catalog a tape earmarked to be resused.  2) If this is correct, then why is it asking for anything at all? 3) Why in the world would it need a tape in the Other tape library that has never been associated with this backup I am hoping to recover?

Thanks,

James

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the tape was previously in this library and part of the backup set on the tape that you are trying to Catalog is on this tape. Put this tape in the same library, inventory it and try the Catalog again

TandyBrands
Level 4

Thanks pkh, but not sure I follow you. I've not changed up any of the libraries. The backup I am looking for I have a log for, and it tells me the backup was done on the first above mentioned tape (FUL185) only. Further, I cannot actually find the tape INC157 that it is asking for.

If this particular tape is not found, then are we saying that I will not be able to recover any data from the first tape?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you cannot find this tape in either libraries, then go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the database