cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iomega Storage and Backup Exec

Smileyville
Level 4

I purchased an Iomega ix4-200R earlier this summer to use as centralized storage in my domain environment at my company. I have gotten over the limited NTFS permissions and gone with a limited number of shares were there is not a tree needed with seperate permissions. Therefore the delay in implementation, but in dire need of space and need to utilize this now, consistently.

So, I would like my tape backup which is using Backup Exec to backup and restore files so that this can be used in production. The backups at the share level worked fine, it errored at the root, but I expected that. As long as the shares and contents are there, we're good.

So, today practiced doing some restores. This is odd and would like to know how to fix. The restore job will run, but it says it failed because it cannot authenticate. However; I look in the directory where I removed files and low behold, there they are 'after' the restore. I've done this a few times to make sure I indeed removed and changed files before performing the restore. So, it is working, but the errors cause me some concern once I have numerous important files for multiple users.

Is there any known reason for this behavior? If I ignore these errors, will that cause more issues later with larger files? What about a multi-level restore? What is needed to restore the subsystem and user files in the event of a crash? What permission is it getting hung up as at the backup level and even at the restore wizard, if you check permissions, the security permissions for the shares test out fine, but the root does not. Thoughts? 

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Are you using the correct username/password when doing that restore? Typically you should use the same username/password for the NAS access that you use for your BE services.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Find and download the b2dtest.exe program from the support site.  It will tell you if a NAS is a suitable target for backups and restores.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

He sounded like he is using the NAS just for normal file storage, not for B2D.  He is having problems restoring files to it directly

Smileyville
Level 4

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am using the NAS for just regular day to day file storage.

I am just doing file backups/restores using Backup Exec.  I am not running the Retrospect Software that came with the device.  Because of the limited structure in this NAS, permissions are only at the main share/folder level.  I have made sure that the Backup Admin that accesses everything else also has read/write permissions to these folders.  It is just odd that it will restore, but tell me it couldn't authenticate to do so.

My concern is due to this behavior, it will prevent me in the future for the restore to happen.  Thanks.

CraigV

...can you copy from the media server to that NAS? Can you do that a couple of folders down the list?

Is the username/password for your NAS the same as your media server's BE services? We have 1 of those NAS devices (with more to come next year), and I put ours on the domain. This makes it a lot easier when doing restores/backups...

Smileyville
Level 4

Thanks Craig,  yes, logged into my Backup server with the BE Admin user, I am able to access the ix4-200R and create folders and files as well as copy files.  I tried a test 4 layers in.

Craig... what version of BE are you using?  Do you encounter the same thing?  Does it have something to do with the root layer thinking it needs that selected within Backup Exec though it does not have root access?

Side topic @Craig... have you found a way to define NTFS variations further down the tree? 

Your thoughts are appreciated.

CraigV

Well, I haven't had to restore to the NAS yet, but I will test and post the results. I am using BE 2010 R2, fully patched. The NAS is connected to a Cisco 2960 switch.

Smileyville
Level 4

Thanks, I appreciate it, I look forward to hearing your results.

CraigV

Hi there,

4 months down the line and a reply...trying to set up our NAS as a B2D in Backup Exec didn't work. It's not Windows-based, neither does it emulate Windows in any way. So that isn't an option (at least for BE 2010 R2!).

Veeam works with no issues whatsoever...I am targetting a folder on the NAS on each of the 2 sites we currently have Veeam running on, and it just works. Basically, it doesn't care what hardware the target is based on, as long as it has access to it.

BE would, however, be able to backup FROM the NAS...

Hope this eventually answers your question!

Craig