cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BE11d slower than 10d or is has more problems?

SaleemK
Level 3
Hi,
I have Backup Exec 10d with exchange and advanced Open Files options, and several remote agents. I needed to upgrade to 11d, but one of my friend told me that 11d is very much slower than 10d. Sorry, I don't remember if I was told it was slower doing backup or restoring, or on both functions. Is it true?

Has 11d more problems than 10d?

I always do full backups to LTO tapes. I'm not using incremental backups, and I don't need continuous backup functionality. Do you recommend to upgrade?

Saleem
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
Hi Saleem,

In 11d when it comes to exchange backup there is a new feature called GRT Granular Restore Technolgy. 

In 10d you typically backup the Exchange Information Store and you can backup the Mailboxes as well "brick level exchange mailbox backup".  The exchange mailbox backup usually add time to the backup since it used MAPI to connect to each mailbox, email, item, attachment. This would be the bulk of the time it take the job to complete.  In 11d you can backup the inforamation store only and restore individual email from an informaiton store backup. So..three is no need to backup mailboxes at the brick level which cuts down on the backup time and tape space.  But....If you need to restore an email from a GRT information store backup it restore the Enture Information store to Local NTFS volume on the Backup Exec media server first, then gets the email, then send it to the exchange server. So GRT backup you need the disk space to stage the restore of the IS. This staging take time since the whole IS has to be "extracted" from tape, then it "extracts" the email from the exchange store files and restore it to exchange. So the trade off is a slower restore..when using tape. So the question really depends on you businees need. How often do you have to restore email and how fast do you have to get them back.
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shirmal
Level 5
Hi Saleem,

In 11d when it comes to exchange backup there is a new feature called GRT Granular Restore Technolgy. 

In 10d you typically backup the Exchange Information Store and you can backup the Mailboxes as well "brick level exchange mailbox backup".  The exchange mailbox backup usually add time to the backup since it used MAPI to connect to each mailbox, email, item, attachment. This would be the bulk of the time it take the job to complete.  In 11d you can backup the inforamation store only and restore individual email from an informaiton store backup. So..three is no need to backup mailboxes at the brick level which cuts down on the backup time and tape space.  But....If you need to restore an email from a GRT information store backup it restore the Enture Information store to Local NTFS volume on the Backup Exec media server first, then gets the email, then send it to the exchange server. So GRT backup you need the disk space to stage the restore of the IS. This staging take time since the whole IS has to be "extracted" from tape, then it "extracts" the email from the exchange store files and restore it to exchange. So the trade off is a slower restore..when using tape. So the question really depends on you businees need. How often do you have to restore email and how fast do you have to get them back.
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Imagine going from a 26hr Exchange backup, doing both IS and bricklevel...  Upgrading to ONLY 11d, and shrinking backups for Exchange to just 4hrs.  But still giving me mailbox and message level restores.

11d was a big change in BE, for the better.

Now, I ask you, why in the world would you even install 11d?  12.5 is the currently supported build, In Jan a new version BE2010 is coming out.  Wouldnt you want to go with what is current and actually supported?