cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Backup Exec backing up drives more than once?

F2Andy
Level 3

The server I am backing up has two drives, C: and E: (plus three folders on E: mapped as drives F:, H: and S:). Looking through the Job History, it is backing up:

\\server.domain.local\C:    3 hours

\\server.domain.local\      3 hours

\\server.domain.local\E:    2 hours

... (databases)

So what is it doing when it is backing up \\server.domain.local\ ? If it is backing up everything at that location, then it is doing C: and E: twice. And it is spending a long time doing it, so presumably there is a lot there (though I appreciate the hours do not add up).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Better way to check would be to open the job log and have a look at the Job Log & the Job History tabs.

You can also consider increasing the level of information contained in the job log, rerun this backup and check. Do turn off the job log information level once this is done.

This way, you could confirm exactly what is being backed up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What do you mean by mapped?  If you are using symbolic links/junction points, then these would be backed up twice if you have specified follow symbolic links and junction points in your backup job.

F2Andy
Level 3

Mapped as in mapping a shared drive over a network. On the server that means the drives are mapped to folders on hardrive on itself. They are not included in the drive selections (I do not even think they were available in the list), so I doubt they are the issue, I just mentioned them for completeness.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Better way to check would be to open the job log and have a look at the Job Log & the Job History tabs.

You can also consider increasing the level of information contained in the job log, rerun this backup and check. Do turn off the job log information level once this is done.

This way, you could confirm exactly what is being backed up.

F2Andy
Level 3

It was from the Job History/Log that I discovered this, but logging more info is a good idea. I will do that and see what it says.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you have Enabled User Shares and have selected the shares for backup, then they will be backed up twice, once from the actual folder and once from the share To disable User Shares, click on the BE button, BE settings and under Network and Security, uncheck Enable User Shares.

F2Andy
Level 3

Looked at the log from last night, which logged directories as they were backed up, and it then lumps

\\server.domain.local\C:    3 hours

\\server.domain.local\      3 hours

... together as a single back up of the C: drive. The answer to my question then is that it is not back up drives more than once.