Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Support Renewal Mandatory in Backup Exec 2012

Sanket_Kadam
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have a customer using Backup Exec 2012, whose support is getting expired next month. He has a query, whether his backup and restore jobs will get affected if he doesn't renew the support or will he be able to backup/restore when the support gets expired......

Please provide authenticated study material link for the same.

Thanks & Regards

Sanket 

5 REPLIES 5

VaibhavShinde
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Dear Sanket,

Symantec has trust based license so product will still work if the licenses are expired. Only support part will be expired.
However, It is advised to renew the license to use product legally and get the support from Symantec.

Sanket_Kadam
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Vaibhav,

Can I get a link or document justifying the statement? An incident wih one of my customer in the recent past has confused my understanding about the same.

It will be great help for me, if I get supporting document for the same. 

Regards

Sanket Kadam

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no expiry with BE licenses. It has been this way since forever. When you renew your support contact, you get a new set of maintenance license keys with new expiry dates. You do not get new set of license keys. I have not seen any document on this subject. If you want official confirmation that BE licenses do not expire then you would need to contact the Symantec Licencing Department. They are the final authority on Licencing matters. If you do not renew your support license, your BE will still work, but you will not be able to log any support case with Symantec. Also, when new versions of BE are released, you would not be able to upgrade to the new version for free. For example, if you do not have a current support contract, you would probably not be able to upgrade to BE 2014 for free when it is released in the middle of this year

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Sanket,

You're looking for the page on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/products-solutions/services/detail.jsp?pcid=support_services&pvid=svc_basic_...

If you don't update your maintenance you would lose all of those benefits as mentioned.

Thanks!

Georg_Kabas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Sanket,

the technical answer is: As Backup Exec is already installed, the function of Backup and Restore is active regardless of the maintenance.

But If you have no maintenance, you are neighter allowed to update your software (LiveUpdate) nor to get TechSupport.

Not sure if the customer really want a non-supported backup software.

If the maintenance ends in April 2014 and after some time customer wants to get maintenance again - he has to pay from April 2014 on or he must buy new software-licenses.

That means - for testing it can be normal to have no maintenance, but in a production environment it would be a high-risk.

Regards, Georg