cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is beserver.exe using ALL the memory normal??

clovett
Level 4

I have Backup Exec 2012 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 server with 16gb of memory.  Right now beserver.exe is using 15.2gb out of the 16gb.  I do have 4 full backup jobs running but just wanted to confirm whether this was normal or not.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

clovett
Level 4

Ok so Symantec tech support had me remove .net framework 3.51 and do a repair of Backup Exec and then claim that would fix it.  Nope!  Approx 5 hours later beserver.exe consumed all the memory again.  So I decided to troubleshoot by uninstalling the last hotfix which was Hotfix 180962, did a reboot and guess what no more memory problems. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

clovett
Level 4

Also to aid in troubleshooting I currently do not have any antivirus software on this server.

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Unfortunately there is not much to do at this time except restarting the services.

You have most likely encountered a known memory leak, see the technote below.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189783

clovett
Level 4

Ok so Symantec tech support had me remove .net framework 3.51 and do a repair of Backup Exec and then claim that would fix it.  Nope!  Approx 5 hours later beserver.exe consumed all the memory again.  So I decided to troubleshoot by uninstalling the last hotfix which was Hotfix 180962, did a reboot and guess what no more memory problems. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Uninstalling that hotfix will remove critical fixes for other areas of the product and is not recommended. Also  if you have now stopped troubleshooting with support it might also mean that we don't have the evidence to work out why you had a problem and if every customer took the same actions we might not be able to identify the cause and provide a proper fix.

clovett
Level 4

Colin I can appreciate that but when the tech support guy says they don't have a patch I can use and this is the only thing they can do my hands are tied.  I had to get this fixed straight away.