cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to backup Windows for SBS to Windows Server to local tape?

Branden_Christe
Level 3
Veritas 10d.

1. (Destination)

We have an XP machine with a large raid array we want to use as disk backup storage. This XP machine also has a local tape drive we want to use to go from disk to disk to tape as we see fit. This machine has installed the Windows, Servers license, and Remote Agent license.

2. (Source(s))

2 Servers. We have a Windows SBS machine and another Windows server I have installed remote agents on to backup to the XP machine.

3. (Problem)

The problem is that Exchange does not show up on the remote selection list for the Windows SBS server, on the XP machine. We do have an SBS license that is not in use. Is it possible to install the SBS license on the SBS server and back it up including Exchange to the XP machine (Windows Server), then using the Windows Server license on that XP machine backup to its local tape drive? I do not know if the Windows Server installation can recognize the SBS installations backup and use it as a backup to duplicate to the local tape drive of the Windows Server installation.

Any help is appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AFAIK, the Veritas SBS serial will only be accepted if the media server is on an MS SBS machine

Since you have a Veritas SBS serial and a Server serial, yes, you could backup the SBS box to Disk located on the XP box, and then backup the BKF files to tape with the standard license.

If you ever want to restore, though, you would need to resore the BKF files, then inventory the B2D folder, then restore to the original location

If you have the Disk and Tape backups run on the same box, you can DUPLICATE the B2D to the tape device and then be able to restore directly from the tape.

You could also purchase and install MSSQL and Exchange Serials on the XP box with the BE Standard serial EBay usually has some one and two generation old serials listed.

Branden_Christe
Level 3
Thank you for the response, I have another question now.

If I inventory the backup folder on the Standard machine that has the SBS bkf files in it, can I then do the DUPLICATE backup to tape, and then be able to restore to the folder directly from tape?

I did an inventory of the this backup folder on the Std machine and when I tried to create a duplicate job the current media did show up, so using this method (schedule an inventory of the folder to run after the backup) will I be able to restore to the folder then from tape?

Thank you,

Branden Christensen

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Inventory (which just reads the header to identify the "media"), then catalog (which determines all files that are on that piece of media)

The only reason to duplicate is to avoid the need to re-catalog the media. As long as the catalog record for the output of the DUPLICATE job still exists, you can restore directly from tape.

In your case, you still need to get the BKF files on the standard server back on that server so that the SBS server can restore data to itself.

Branden_Christe
Level 3
Is is possible to schedule a catalog of the media? (I know an inventory can be schuduled) This would be the BKF files in the backup folder for the SBS server. I have set it to overwrite media, and not ask to overwrite imported media which is where the media from the SBS server resides, but will it still create newly numbered BKF files even when they are overwritten? If so is it possible to automate this whole cataloging process and how?

Thank you

Branden Christensen