cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to backup system state with Backup Exec in AD recovery mode?

f_rele
Not applicable

Our Windows server 2012 does not boot to desktop, freezes with black screen, can't boot server in console mode and only thing that boots is AD recovery. Windows own backup tool does not run in AD recovery mode, safe mode or recovery console. Is it possible to get system state backup with DNS, DHCP and AD using backup exec? We have not tried, but I'm looking at the options. Adapter with old firmware corrupted C partition so last backup did not succeed, therefore we do not have a working backup. At the moment we are building new server and are trying to minimize configuring time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I would assume that with Recovery Mode being a severely locked down boot into Windows, that not much actually runs, save the minimum to boot your DC in order to do a restore.

If Windows own backup utility doesn't run, BE won't either as beremote.exe would be required to run as a service.

Only way to see is to test, but I doubt it will run.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I would assume that with Recovery Mode being a severely locked down boot into Windows, that not much actually runs, save the minimum to boot your DC in order to do a restore.

If Windows own backup utility doesn't run, BE won't either as beremote.exe would be required to run as a service.

Only way to see is to test, but I doubt it will run.

Thanks!