cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to configure BE 2012 duplicate stages in a BE 2010 manner ?

massimiliano_2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

we have just finished installing and configuring Backup Exec 2012 in a new dedicated physical Windows server running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 SP2.

After pushing the Backup Exec 2012 Remote Agent for Windows Servers to a couple of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 SP2 machines we have set up a couple of jobs to back up to disk selected files and folders within the said machines using a combination of weekly full and daily differential backups.

Backup Exec 2012 does not permit us to select individual files and folders if we choose to back up the said servers at once, so since we want to back up more granular selections for each server we have selected them separately and created a couple of backup jobs (one backup job per machine/selection).

When it’s time to duplicate backed up data to tape, however, I am trying to figure out how to configure the duplicate jobs after the said backup to disk jobs successfully complete.

If I were still using Backup Exec 2010 I would have done the following to accomplish the task:

==================================================

1) Create a new backup selection list of the resources that I want to granularly back up across the said machines.

2) Create a new backup policy with a combination of weekly full and daily differential backups.

3) Add to the newly created policy a duplicate stage scheduled to run immediately after each weekly full and daily differential backup completes resulting in backup selections list being backed up to disk in a single-pass and duplicated to tape in a single-pass as well.

==================================================

Since Backup Exec 2012 forces us to back up granular selections from different servers using separate backup jobs, I am trying to figure out how to configure the duplicate stages in a Backup Exec 2010 manner so that after all weekly full/daily differential backup to disk jobs have been successfully completed the corresponding backup sets are duplicated to tape in a single-pass.

Backing up to disk selections from a server, duplicating the corresponding backup sets to tape, then backing up to disk selections from another server and duplicating the corresponding backup sets to tape is not an option during the nightly backup windows (especially when performing the weekly full backup jobs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately, you cannot do your duplicate jobs in a single pass.  There is no way out of this.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I got a customer with nearly the same problem.

He wants to get all backups duplicated to one tape (capacity would fit), but since you have to configure several jobs, the tape library and BE sometimes simply are not mounting the tape used by the duplication before, even if it is appendebale. So tape consumption increases and customer satisfaction decreases...

No solution to it...