cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to extract a file tree from the Catalog files?

Oscrx
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have been searching for a couple of hours but have not been able to find the answer on my own.

Due to a migration at my company to a new system, I'd like to publish the location of specific files on our tapes.

With a file tree/the location of XML's stored on our tapes I believe I can get a few steps closer to importing our data.

If I take a look at one of the .fh files I find some useful info. The top part is binary which I can't seem to figure out. At the bottom is a UTF-8 encoded XML. From this, I can get the filename info. If I combine that with the XML named as the .fh file I can figure out on which tape files are stored. But some identically named files are present in every folder, this is why I also need the path of the file.

The end goal is to somehow make a script that restores all XML's present in our tapes quickly, as we have about 2000 tapes to ingest in our new environment. (20-30 XML's per tape)

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. 

Thanks in advance.

Oscar

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You get get more readable information out of an FH file using the Catalog Utility

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000022787